Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine - when to take and side effects?

(11 Posts)
Bonkey Fri 02-Jan-15 01:05:00

I'm 4 days into taking it.
I thought originally after reading the leaflet that it may make me drowsy so decided to take them late afternoon/early evening.
I think they are having the opposite effect.
Third night in a row now I am up feeling buzzy. I need to do something. Last night I managed to start and write a blog...tonight I am researching. I had four hours sleep last night but I don't feel I can sleep despite being tired.

If it was just this then the obvious thing would be to take them in the morning but I think they are giving me other side effects which may not be great in the day time (they seem to hit a few hours after taking) . I feel hot, like my body temp has risen. I feel a bit sick, shaky and dizzy at times like I haven't eaten even though I have.

I am assuming this is all normal (never taken meds long term before) and it should settle? How long are we talking?

They do seem to be taking the edge off my mood though...just a little...I think.....back to the docs in two weeks.

Bonkey Fri 02-Jan-15 01:08:17

Going to add that I also feel all jittery a few hours after....anxious/nervous? I can't stop tapping my god dammed foot!

musicposy Fri 02-Jan-15 07:41:48

Stick with it; you're in the hardest part. I've always found that 2 - 3 weeks in and the side effects will settle down. I had terrible shakes the first time I ever went on it - I didn't think I could keep going. But after a couple of weeks that went.
I'm currently on 20mg which I've been on for about a year. I hardly notice I'm on it except I cope with life much better!
Hang in there. If you're back at the docs in a couple of weeks and it isn't settling, have a chat then. flowers

musicposy Fri 02-Jan-15 07:42:22

I take it last thing at night, btw.

creamhearts Fri 02-Jan-15 12:23:06

I take it in the morning which is how I was told to take it. Feeling jittery can be a normal side effects, they tend to wear off about 4 - 6 weeks in.

Bonkey Fri 02-Jan-15 19:39:55

I took it earlier today...lunchtime ish with the aim to cut back until I was on the morning but I'm not sure if I can cope with it all on top of daily stuff and being outside.

Went up to sainsburys and I was all over the shop - couldn't think straight, jittery and jumpy. Felt sick. My eyes were wide open!

At least in the evening I can shut off in bed if I need to and watch tv while I deal with everything - gah! Catch 22!

2015ontheway Sat 03-Jan-15 15:31:56

Hi OP - I am having side effects too but very different. After about two weeks taking them at night I still feel entirely knackered and sleepy all day long. I wonder when I will feel a bit more energetic again? Mood not much more even either!
Don't think I'm more anxious though although I wake up with a start each night as though my heart has done an extra big thump!

ArchangelGallic Sat 03-Jan-15 15:35:19

My pharmacist advised me to take in the morning. They do make you feel utter shit for a few weeks though.
Probably a good idea to avoid alcohol too as a lot if people report it makes things worse the following day.

Ihavenobrain Sat 03-Jan-15 16:20:59

I felt all those symptoms. It took me 4 weeks to feel ok.
Sweaty hands, feeling sick, shaky, horrid. It's worth it though smile

Mumblepot26 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:05:37

On week 4 now and I can assure you it's worth it. Had a difficult first couple of weeks, very panicky and unsettled. Also felt exhausted and anxious I would never get better. That really started settling down 3.5 weeks in. I now feel normal 80%of the time. Keep going, you are almost there

2015ontheway Sat 03-Jan-15 19:36:31

That is so reassuring mumblepot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now