Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

To ask for anti depressants or not?

(6 Posts)
Outnumbrd Thu 01-Jan-15 21:44:47

I'm fed up of feeling low and struggling with life. I think I've been like this for as long as I can remember. I've ostracised myself from my family, have no real friends as I can't get close or be real around anyone. I put on a show for everyone. I only feel relaxed and in a good mood when sipping wine/ gin etc.. Even wine now makes me feel sick sometimes. Should I go to GP tomorrow and ask for anti depressants? I've always been against them, have the attitude of pull through there's nothing wrong. Also I'm so scared of what my medical records will state and that it could be used against me and if the meds don't help it would all still be on my records with no change.
Have they helped/ not helped anyone? Any advice?

schmeegle Fri 02-Jan-15 15:10:12

Definitely go talk to your GP. Don't be worried about your medical records, i had the same worry many moons ago!

You might find that the chat with the GP will help you and also get their opinion on medication.

Using wine to self medicate probably isn't the best move and is probably a sign that you need to chat to someone professional.

I hope you feel better flowers

Outnumbrd Fri 02-Jan-15 22:34:46

Thanks Schmeegle, this has been going on for so long, I think I wouldn't be able to tell the dr coherently and think it's all too complex for anyone to understand. I can't write much now but thanks so much for taking the time to reply x

lemisscared Fri 02-Jan-15 22:40:53

talk to your gp. ads may well help you. they may not. but maybe some counselling

tippytappywriter Fri 02-Jan-15 22:44:41

Go and have a chat with your GP. There are many options. See if you can make a double appointment so you don't feel rushed flowers

GraysAnalogy Fri 02-Jan-15 22:46:52

Defo go for a chat. Anti depressants have helped me so much so they might be worth giving a go. Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now