Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

counselling

(6 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Thu 01-Jan-15 17:05:16

I have had problems with depression, anxiety and self harm for years. 4.5 years ago I finally sought help. I was prescribed citalopram and started cbt. I felt able to come off the citalopram 1.5 years ago. Finished cbt a year ago. The past 6 months I've been struggling with anxiety again. I've always been bad around my period- and I can cope with that- but it's been constant. I'm about to finish a job which I've struggled with so I think that will help, but I feel I need to return to counselling.
My question is which therapies have you found helpful with anxiety and the accompanying issues? My previous therapist was just what I needed at the time, but I'd like to see someone new.
Thanks for reading.

YesAnastasia Thu 01-Jan-15 17:09:34

I wouldn't leave it to take hold if I were you (& I have been in a similar situation a few times). Can you go on a low dose of citalopram again until you find someone? It might be worth doing so you're taking control before it does.

Unfortunately, I have never found therapy very helpful so I can't help with that but I would be interested in what you decide & the advice you're given because I should probably give counselling another try.

drinkyourmilk Sat 03-Jan-15 19:27:22

Thanks for answering Anastasia.
I genuinely don't feel I need anti depressants atm, while I feel very anxious, and have the accompanying insomnia, Irritability (which my very understanding lovely husband bares he brunt of) etc I'm hoping I've made some positive steps to help - I've changed jobs, gone n/c with my mum, started exercising more.
I'm so tired of this cycle sad

drinkyourmilk Sat 03-Jan-15 19:29:33

Oh- and will never self harm again. I will not hesitate to go back to the Dr if I feel I'm continuing to get worse or I don't feel improvement.

teacupnic Sat 03-Jan-15 19:35:59

I would perhaps say that for me it isn't the case of a specific type of therapy I found helpful but the right person. It's true that most therapists tend to have specific methods or theorists they follow but one important aspect is the therapeutic relationship.

I'd suggest you have a look at the BACP or UKCP websites at local therapists and see which ones feel right to you. You can then make a shortlist and they should be able to offer you a free first session to talk about what you want out of therapy and the way they work.

Although CBT is normally recommended for anxiety, I didn't find it particularly useful. Do you have any ideas of what is behind your anxiety? You mention going n/c with your mother. If this relationship has been problematic for you in the past then a therapist that works 'relationally' might be useful.

YesAnastasia Sun 04-Jan-15 17:20:22

You have a healthy perspective on it & it helps when you have a supportive OH too.

Best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now