Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Back to work after time off sick

(11 Posts)
Smartleatherbag Thu 01-Jan-15 16:54:29

Hi, I've been off work for four months due to severe depression. I'm much improved but still fragile. My gp would happily sign me off longer but I feel I need to get back, mainly as I am only on statutory sick pay. Also I do like my work and my colleagues are wonderful. I'd probably not have my contract renewed if I'm not back soon too.
It's part time and I am mainly autonomous which suits me, but I don't feel ready. I don't know if I ever will tbh, but the thought of losing a job I love is horrible. I don't know what to do and the whole thing is making me feel awful. Also my therapist has been off six weeks so nooone to talk it over with :-(.

merlehaggard Thu 01-Jan-15 17:01:13

Is there a good HR dept?

KatOD Thu 01-Jan-15 17:07:38

Hi Smart, difficult to answer as going back is never as hard as you've built it up to be in your mind (ime), but if you don't feel ready you might not be.

Why has your therapist been off for 6 weeks? Have they recommended a stand-into talk to as it seems like you need some help here from someone equipped with the skills and backstory to do so?

PisforPeter Thu 01-Jan-15 17:16:05

I went back on a 'phased return' - half days for 3 weeks & it really helped?? Ask your GP to put this on your Med 3 x

Smartleatherbag Thu 01-Jan-15 17:20:16

Thanks for the replies.
Yes therapist issue is ridiculous, she was ill herself which is totally reasonable but no interim help. I fell to bits.
I can go back as slowly as I like and hr are great.
I just feel so panicky that I feel suicidal again. Dh keeps going on that it's the best thing for me but I don't think it is. However if I stay off I will be unemployed in the new financial year and that feels awful too. I am good at my job but it takes sorry much from me.

PisforPeter Thu 01-Jan-15 17:31:24

I think if you go back slowly & build your confidence you will be ok, hugs xx

Smartleatherbag Thu 01-Jan-15 18:38:16

Thanks, I hope so!

Mrscog Thu 01-Jan-15 18:52:18

If your work is willing to do a phased return and you like your job then I would see how that goes. I don't think you sound completely ready, but equally, as your work has so many positives for you when you are feeling well, it might aid you to go back partially.

NanaNina Thu 01-Jan-15 20:26:35

I think it's quite common to lose confidence after depression - it's a very nasty illness and I think it often entails a loss of self esteem. I don't think you should let DH tell you what's best to do, although he probably thinks he's doing it for the best. If you can go back as slowly as you like, why not take advantage of that. Thinking about something can be worse than actually doing it, but on the other hand if you go back too soon and can't cope it will dent your confidence.

When are you meant to be going back. What part time hours do you do - slow and steady wins the race......

KatOD Thu 01-Jan-15 23:37:34

I agree with the others Smart... Try a gradual phased approach and see how you get on. Don't let your husband tell you what's best for you, if you're not ready you shouldn't do it... It's very hard to empathise with such things.

Also, please speak to someone (GP?) about an alternative therapist ASAP.

Good luck.

Smartleatherbag Sat 03-Jan-15 14:26:05

Thanks for replying all. Yes I'm a bit more positive about it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now