Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

how do you find a counceller?

(7 Posts)
LittleMilla Wed 31-Dec-14 12:48:50

I just need someone to talk to. I'm not depressed, just a little sad and would like some outside perspective & support.
my emotionally absent, alcoholic father is relying heavily on me for support whilst his marriage breaks down. I'm finding it increasingly hard to manage him and my own feelings and know that a counseller could help.

also, how do you actually spell it?!? blush

NanaNina Wed 31-Dec-14 13:55:51

Do you realise littleMilla (lovely name) that you will need to pay for counselling. You spell counsellor like that (!) though they are sometimes called therapists - more or less the same thing. If you go on the BACP website (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) you will find someone in you area. Everyone on this site has been properly trained and is qualified. Charges vary dependent on where you live, but around £50 per hour.

You might find cheaper counselling via Relate or Cruise (so worth checking out)

The main thing with counselling is that you feel safe and comfortable with a counsellor and a good one will usually use the first session to make sure that you can work together.

WorryWurta Wed 31-Dec-14 14:21:34

Nananina is quite right re private counselling. I would only add speak to your gp as some nhs trusts will pay for a limited course of counselling e.g our gp can refer for 10 free sessions, tho the wait is several months.

LittleMilla Fri 02-Jan-15 09:03:49

thanks all for your messages. I'm going to look in to this next week as it's my new year's resolution. want to make sure I don't pass on the weirdness my dad has given me to my two boys.

msfreud Fri 02-Jan-15 12:33:39

There are also many charitable organisations that offer low cost counselling if paying is an issue. Have a look at the website of your local branch of Mind if you're in the UK.

The NHS tends to only offer CBT based treatments which might not be the best for you at the moment.

LittleMilla Fri 02-Jan-15 17:13:51

thanks msfreud. I'm going to see how much it is then go from there. my work also has some occupational health things and I think I can get some free sessions through that.

Littlefish Fri 02-Jan-15 17:19:06

I had some lower cost counselling through a counselling centre. My excellent counsellor was fully trained, but at the beginning of her career and was offering a lower price in order to build up her experience.

She was no less effective or empathetic than my previous counsellor who had much more experience.

I also agree with msfreud that there are charitable organisations who offer counselling on a sliding scale of charges, according to what you are paid/can afford to pay.

Children's centres also sometimes offer counselling through Relate or other organisations.

One thing I would say LittleMilla is that there's no harm in going along for a single session to see whether you think the counsellor is someone you think you can work with. If after a single session, you don't feel comfortable with them, consider trying someone else. Counselling is so very personal, and you have to feel that the counsellor is someone you can move forward with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now