Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Amitriptyline support please

(30 Posts)
ANLBXX Sun 28-Dec-14 17:12:32

I have been on this new antidepressant for 3 weeks started on 25mg and upped to 50mg after second week,I don't know if I feel better or worse!? Feel like a walking zombie just going through the motions of life,have very little energy to do anything and just feel generally low and not myself? Had anyone any advice please? Xx

littleone88 Sun 28-Dec-14 17:44:57

Hi ANLBXX i take 75mg in the evening its suppose to help with sleep and also take 40mg of citalopram in day are you on any other meds ?

ANLBXX Sun 28-Dec-14 17:59:40

Hi thanks for replying, I am on no other meds(apart from mini-pill) I was on 10 mg off citalopram but doctor has taken me off and put me on these due to stomach problems/possible irritable bowel? The doctor wanted to up it last week but I said I don't think I could cope with it x

ANLBXX Sun 28-Dec-14 18:01:37

I just feel so spaced out don't feel like I enjoyed Christmas that much was all a blur sad

littleone88 Sun 28-Dec-14 18:53:15

sorry to hear that maybe go back to GP are you anxious with physical sym I have been on these for over 8 years does help me sleep better, do you take your in the day ?

ANLBXX Sun 28-Dec-14 19:04:27

Thankyou for replying it is nice to chat to someone,I think I am anxious with things in general and makes me feel unwell in evenings with irritable bowel symptoms? I take them early evening about 7?

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Sun 28-Dec-14 19:48:54

I used to take them just before bedtime, I have IBS too and this seemed to help, it can take a few weeks before they are properly in your system. Best of luck

littleone88 Mon 29-Dec-14 15:14:50

how are you feeling ANLBXX, I too have IBS, and suffer with alot of physical sym, was recently prescribed progabilin I couldnt believe the different it was, all my physical sym have disappeared I have since got my life back, I know GP dont like giving that out due to it being expensive, but have a GP is very understanding, since taking them I have my life back, I also take amitrip 75mg as well as citalopram 40mg, let me know how ya getting one

ANLBXX Mon 29-Dec-14 17:52:27

Feel abit better today thankyou for everyone replying, my go has been very good as well. At the moment they symptoms have settled down but still feel very nauseous in the evenings and particularly when I lay down in bed? Think a lot of it is related to stress so am trying to detach myself from the problem a little bit but can't as it involves family,I am so paranoid I am going to be sick as I feel so nauseaous,it is making me feel grumpy! sad

littleone88 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:23:55

glad you are feeling a bit better i felt sick 24/7 thats what made me so depressed, but since taking the pregabilin that disappeared before i couldnt eat or drink, lost a stone in 3 weeks, but I am slowly getting my appetite back thank god x

ANLBXX Mon 29-Dec-14 19:03:14

Maybe I should go back and mention the sick feeling to the doctor when I next go? As some nights I struggle to eat and if I go out I worry awfully about feeling sick or suffering when I get home.

ellenjames Mon 29-Dec-14 21:34:25

my nurse today wouldn't up mine from 50mg stating that they don't prescribe over that amount!! How crap is that?! I feel anxious and not right, cant feel happy etc most of the time. I had a hideous reaction to citalopram the last time I tried it which is why I am on amitriptyline now.

weegiemum Mon 29-Dec-14 21:50:31

I'm on 150mg at night, partly for depression (I also take 150mg sertraline) but also as a painkiller for nerve pain in my feet.

I'm pretty used to it now, it helps me sleep but I'm not groggy in the mornings, I've been on this dose for 2.6 years.

You can go up to 300mg, so whoever said 50mg is talking rot. Iirc the lowest therapeutic dose for depression is 75mg, but I could be wrong!

ellenjames Mon 29-Dec-14 22:35:14

I know weegiemum!! I was not happy! Am going to make an appointment to see another doctor in the practice!

ANLBXX Tue 30-Dec-14 08:29:10

My doctor wants to get me up to a 100mg? So I am not sure what your nurse was on about ellenjames,make sure you go back and see some one else x

ellenjames Tue 30-Dec-14 10:26:27

Am going to! Couldn't believe it when she said they don't up it for anxiety/depression when I know 75mg is the maintenance dose/starting dose!

WorryWurta Tue 30-Dec-14 12:53:38

I loved amitryptaline even tho I cant spell it. I started off really low tho at 10 and built up very slowly so maybe that's why? It did also cure my ibs. So if it's making you feel bad maybe the starter dose is too high or maybe it's just not right for you? Everyone's different

ANLBXX Tue 30-Dec-14 16:57:32

Thank you for all replies, I am hoping it is because I have been started on a high dose as I was only on 10mg of citalopram so a very big jump really? And I guess it hasn't helped having to be sociable around christmas time-kid's off,seeing family and I feel like I am trying to get used to it as well as worrying about my ibs?

ANLBXX Tue 30-Dec-14 17:05:56

I just want to feel normal again sad oh god I sound awful don't I,need to pull myself together,I think what with christmas you always feel abit low,will the amitripalyne help my depression as well?

littleone88 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:22:25

ANLBXX you will feel normal, it will take some time, I promise you, This is my third bout of this awful illness and each time i got thru it, I took a day at a time and not to think too far ahead, if you suffer with alot of anxiety ask the doc about pregabilin, this med worked quite instant for me started on 75mg , then GP upped my dose from 150mg in the evening and in the day, felt quite spaced out for the first week but that soon wore off, and now I feel I can function properly, amitrip was used a long time ago fro depression but now adays its used for pain management and aids sleep, how are how are you feeling this evening

ANLBXX Tue 30-Dec-14 20:48:18

Not too bad this evening thankyou,I want to make sure that the tablets help with both,I was on citalopram for a long time so I guess it is a very big change for my body? I am trying to take each day at a time as well,thankyou for asking littleone it is nice to know it isn't just me.

littleone88 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:45:28

so glad your feeling a bit better remember little steps at a time, I just wish my daughter gets better soon, her anxiety is really starting to effect my family hate seeing her so sad it was her birthday today but she wasnt in the mood much and constanly asking for reasurance x

ANLBXX Wed 31-Dec-14 18:17:49

Hi everyone had a good day today,got up earlyish,determined not to sit about and do nothing so went and got some food shopping and took the kids to see Annie,nice to get out the house, lifts your mood. So sorry to hear about your daughter littleone88, how old is she?

littleone88 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:05:15

glad you did have a nice day, my daughter turned 8 yesterday just wish i could help her she keeps saying take me to the doctors and get some tablets for her to take so she can forget how she feels

ANLBXX Wed 31-Dec-14 19:47:32

Arrr bless her little heart,would the doctors help? Or talking to the school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now