Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling anxious

(13 Posts)
ellenjames Sat 27-Dec-14 12:35:20

Hi I have struggled through this festive season as keep having attacks of anxiety, have been on 50mg of amitriptyline for a couple of months for this and nerve pain. Am fucking sick of this I feel like crying all the time and my body feels all agitated. It's all mainly physical symptoms. Am going to get doc app on mon, do you think it's time I upped the ami dosage? I am on them as had a horrid reaction to citalopram when I last tried them.

ellenjames Sat 27-Dec-14 20:04:09

Bump

Ohbollocksandballs Sat 27-Dec-14 20:07:07

Yes, I would go back to the doctors and see what they say.

Have you tried beta blockers? I was prescribed propanolol for anxiety, after horrible reactions to citalopram and sertraline. They provide immediate relief to the physical symptoms (rapid heart rate, sweating, shaking etc)

ellenjames Sat 27-Dec-14 23:13:38

Not heard of them are they addictive like diazepam?

ellenjames Sat 27-Dec-14 23:15:31

It's strange as I feel fine now and have done for most of the day by I get these horrid times where my body feels on fire/prickly which I assume is adrenaline? Don't feel depressed it's very strange and not like I have experienced before!

MrsJuice Sun 28-Dec-14 00:34:39

Propranolol is a great drug.
There is no buzz or high whatsoever. It slows the heart rate, and calms anxiety.
This is from someone who has been prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone too!
I have a thyroid condition. It is a quick fix when my anxiety is on overdrive, but I don't think to take it unless I actually need it.

Ohbollocksandballs Sun 28-Dec-14 07:39:05

Sorry for the slow reply, no it isn't addictive, nor does it make you feel 'out of it', and I take it when I feel that I need it.

ellenjames Sun 28-Dec-14 12:03:45

Thank yougrin sounds like just the thing I need!!

littleone88 Sun 28-Dec-14 17:48:44

I suffer with serve anxiety and recently been prescribled pregabalin I cant believe the difference it has made, no more anxiety and all my physical sym have gone, GP dont like prescribing it as its costly for them, maybe go back to GP and ask about it, tried propan didnt work for me was on 60mg three times a day

Ohbollocksandballs Sun 28-Dec-14 18:23:14

Propan doesn't work for all I agree, and I was very reluctant to take it. However with my anxiety it isn't prolonged, it's short periods of high anxiety, so they worked a treat.

Ohbollocksandballs Sun 28-Dec-14 18:23:44

I also reccomend imipramine. I was on that for around 6 months at one point and found it to be bloody brilliant.

ellenjames Mon 29-Dec-14 19:00:20

Well that was interesting I went to see the nurse and she wouldn't up the dosage as apparently 50mg is the highest they prescribe!!! Told to ring a number for counselling which didn't work before!hmm

Ohbollocksandballs Wed 31-Dec-14 17:48:52

So sorry only just seen your reply. She sounds a bit like she's fobbing you off. I would request to see a different doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now