Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

MH crisis at Christmas

(43 Posts)
CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 19:59:06

I've tried to call the ooh crisis team but there is just a recorded message saying they are closed for the Christmas period. It doesn't say when that is until though.

Anyone with more knowledge of this stuff than me have any suggestions of who else to speak to or how stuff like that works in your area. This is all new to me, so haven't any experience to draw upon.

I've text the Samaritians but can't put words into a logical enough order to ring them.

Fizzypinkdrink Thu 25-Dec-14 20:28:26

Reading your last sentence where you're texting as phone call too difficult? I hope you've heard back from them and also, of course,that you are safe tonight.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:30:02

Yeh, I have, thank you. They take about half an hour to reply.

Thank you or replying.

Loupee Thu 25-Dec-14 20:35:46

You should try 111 there should always be an emergency psych team available, although may not be familiar to you.
You can talk here if that helps

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:37:48

Thank you. If I call 111 what would I say to them?

runlikeagirl Thu 25-Dec-14 20:38:04

You can phone Samaritan's and other talk. They will just be there.

runlikeagirl Thu 25-Dec-14 20:38:26

Tell them that you are having a mh crisis and need urgent helpn

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:40:01

The samaritians are great, but I can't put into words. I've spoken to them before and think they are fab.

I want to talk to rape crisis but there are closed and so it all just feels really complicated.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:40:40

Run- what will they do? Send someone from crisis team tomorrow?

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:41:11

Sorry if I'm not making masses of sense!

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Thu 25-Dec-14 20:45:09

Caulk if you ring 111 or Sane because they are mental health experts and are like the Samaritans.

Sane 0845 767 8000 from 6pm - 11pm every evening and they have regional help info.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:46:51

Ok. They won't think I'm stupid will they, and say I'm wasting time will they?

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 25-Dec-14 20:47:49

I'm in the usual place if you want to talk x

chestnut100 Thu 25-Dec-14 20:50:32

There will be a MH liaison team available at A and E. wod you feel able to go there?

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:52:20

I've had a drink earlier on and my medication lowers my tolerance for alcohol, so I'm probably over the limit to drink. Going to a and e is my last resort if I can't make it all feel ok. I will if I need to though, I'm not in danger or anything.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Thu 25-Dec-14 20:52:26

No they won't lovely. You won't be wasting anyone's time. Please have a chat with someone.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 20:55:54

Ok. Thanks everyone. I have loads of things written to do in crisis moments but got more panicky when I couldn't speak to them. Thank you.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Thu 25-Dec-14 20:58:36

Take it a bit at a time Caulk and if I can help please message.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 21:01:12

Thank you, that's so kind. Just become a bit overwhelmed and all that and struggling to stay safe. I am safe, can be safe etc, just thoughts and things.

chestnut100 Thu 25-Dec-14 21:01:48

My team are certainly advising anyone in crisis to present at A and E over Xmas. They are there to help, please don't be afraid to take the help. People don't think twice about A and E if they are physically poorly. Your mental health is just as important

DerbyDoll Thu 25-Dec-14 21:05:55

I work in mental health and we advise all our patients to call their usual GP number which will transfer them to the primary care out of hours service. They are able to access the Crisis Team for you if needed. If you feel you are in immediate crisis then you should go to A&E and ask to be assessed by a member of the mental health liaison team. Good luck, stay safe x

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 21:07:00

Thanks chestnut. I thought that might be the case. Have been to a and e before when auicidal or have self harmed but I'd like it to be my last resort and to feel that I've tried everything else I can. Thanks.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 21:10:52

Ok thanks derby.

Fizzypinkdrink Thu 25-Dec-14 21:19:47

A mental health professional would be aware of increased levels of disruption to organisation when someone's very upset. No, I don't think they will judge you harshly (at all).

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 25-Dec-14 21:22:22

My plan of ringing crisis team was because they would already know stuff, without me beginning from the start if that makes sense.

I'm going to give sane a call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now