Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to find a therapist

(4 Posts)
Zipitydooda Wed 24-Dec-14 21:17:39

I know I need to deal with some issues but GP can't recommend anyone. How can I find a reputable therapist and one that will help and not just sit there in silence or say 'and how does
that make you feel?'
It's so hard to make that first step.

Millie2013 Wed 24-Dec-14 21:46:17

Google BACP and/or UKCP. Both have lists of accredited or member therapists. You might have to try a few, before you find one with a good "fit", you don't have to stick with the first therapist you see
That said, silence can be very therapeutic, with an experienced practitioner and most therapists (IME) will use silences in their work (and explore them) and exploring how you feel is also central to therapy. It might be good to open up a discussion about your expectations/fears surrounding therapy, as part of an assessment
You will know when you find the right person, it will just feel "right". I used to hate being asked how I felt about xyz, now I am curious to explore it and it feels safe and I don't squirm like I used to. Similarly, I'm now more comfortable with silences (still squirm a bit, but I'm happy to explore the squirm)
Take the risk, it's so worth it

MoreSnowPlease Wed 24-Dec-14 21:48:27

Http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk

They only have qualified, insured counsellors on their site

MoreSnowPlease Wed 24-Dec-14 21:49:55

Hmmm not sure what went wrong there try this

Www.counselling-directory.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now