Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram - diminished emotions

(15 Posts)
ThreeRainbows Wed 24-Dec-14 18:14:47

Can I ask people if Citalopram can diminish emotions?

Since by DP had been taking them, he's felt nothing towards me at all. I had expected him to start them and return to "normal" after he developed severe depression but they have made him seem very cold and unfeeling.

I get very upset and hurt and he's putting me through a lot and he seems to honestly not even care. He seems to be jolly and completely oblivious to what he's doing. His coldness is pushing me away and I feel like he doesn't care about me at all anymore. He was so compassionate before and this person is a stranger. My father had a stroke and he could not have appeared to care less.

Could it be the pills?

I have supported him through this illness but I feel like he has no love for me anymore.

Varya Wed 24-Dec-14 18:22:27

Now, you have made me wonder about this. I feel no emotion but know I love my family. Citalopram? Will ask my nice GP when I next see her.

ThreeRainbows Wed 24-Dec-14 18:34:40

Does that mean you know you love them but don't feel it?

Since he's started taking the pills he looks at me with a blank face as suddenly says he is not sure he loves me anymore and also seems oblivious to the hurt that statement causes.

He also showed no emotion at all over my father's stroke, and even his own Mother being diagnosed with a serious illness.

I am just wondering if it's genuinely possible not to feel grief, joy, pain or whatever on these pills.

atticusfinchatemybaby Wed 24-Dec-14 18:38:34

Not as extreme as what you describe but yes, when i was on citalopram it dulled the happy feelings as well as the sad ones. Myemotional range nnarrowed a lot. I wasn't a zombie but it was definitely a thing. In my case the benefits were worth it but dh could try a different med if this is a problem.

ThreeRainbows Thu 25-Dec-14 12:15:27

I think what he describes is being unhappy to feel happy or sad AT ALL.

I am just wondering if that's actually true, or if this is possible.

TipsyMcStaggers Thu 25-Dec-14 12:20:24

I'm taking just 10mg of these for pnd but in the past when I was taking 20mg I did often feel numb. It was only when I started slowly reducing the dose and things genuinely made me happy or laugh that I realised I hadn't really felt that on the medication. It was a lifesaver at the time though. Hope you're both ok OP flowers

Trooperslane Thu 25-Dec-14 12:21:57

It can definitely flatten you.

I've hardly cried since I've been on them and I used to be a total blubber.

X

Tanaqui Thu 25-Dec-14 12:36:30

Yes, the same as atticus- all feelings dimmed. Could he safely reduce his dose? Otherwise maybe try a different ssri in the new year.

Apophenia Thu 25-Dec-14 12:58:51

citalopram stopped me caring about anything. I stopped taking it because I'd rather have the lows of depression with some highs, than feel nothing, at all, about anything.

ThreeRainbows Thu 25-Dec-14 16:09:00

He tried to reduce the dose for 10 days and after 3 - 4 days on 10mg he started to cry all the time, had to be signed off work again, and we had to go back to the GP and bring him back to 20mg.

It is exactly like he doesn't care about me at all.

I don't want to sound selfish, I have bent over backwards being there through this illness from helping with lifestyle changes to encouraging him to the doctor and counselling and giving him rest and space but since he was depressed it's caused him to pull away from me so hard and I feel all intimacy is gone.

I want him to be well, but living with someone who can't muster up a reaction to anything at all is really hard to live with. When my Dad had a stroke and he didn't seem to care or have any compassion for me at all it was hard not to feel broken hearted.

If it could be the medication I will of course try and be strong and bear with it, but it's hard not to take it personally.

Apophenia Thu 25-Dec-14 20:02:57

threerainbow

When I was on citalopram, you could have told me my daughter was dead and I'd probably have shrugged my shoulders, that's how much it changed me.

windchimes23 Fri 26-Dec-14 10:22:22

Antidepressants stop me feeling anything. I am naturally an intense, emotional person. Give me a moderate to high dose of ADs and I couldn't care less about anything.

That is why I refuse to take them long term. I'd rather be depressed than feel nothing. I will only take them if I feel a major suicidal depression coming on.

I am better on a mood stabilser alone, rather than an AD. But TBH I try to keep my meds to a minimum.

Your husband is still there underneath the ADs, he may need them now if he is very depressed (I am not anti meds) and will come back to normal once he is well stabilised and can stop them.

stitch10yearson Sun 28-Dec-14 12:20:55

it flattens a persons affect, which is what it is meant to do. I'm sorry, I have no support to offer you. Except that this too shall pass.
medication is only one part of treatment. Is he having counselling? or some sort of other talking therapy? Has he increased his exercise levels? Have you got other support?
posstiive vibes for you.

Mamastacey Sat 22-Apr-17 17:44:55

Hiya, I know it's been a while since this thread but did you and your partner manage to pull through this threerainbows?? X

Fairylea Sat 22-Apr-17 23:06:07

I used to be on citalopram 60mg when I had pnd after having my dd. I don't even think they prescribe that dose anymore. It did dull my feelings but I needed that because I couldn't function and cope otherwise. It enabled me to look after dd in an automatic way and get back to work. Over a period of 2 years I did gradually cut down and didn't have any relapses for another ten years or so (currently suffering with severe panic disorder). For me they were a godsend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now