Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety, need to go shopping but scared

(31 Posts)
SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 11:21:36

Hi everyone. I have recently been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder. The best way I can describe it is that I feel as though I have a constant 'free-floating' anxiety that is just there, and it latches on to things. It will latch on to something which I will then feel sick with worry about for about a week, and then latch on to something else. The hardest part sometimes is not knowing what it's going to latch on to next. I have a constant feeling that something is going to go wrong.

Anyway, today, I need to go into town to do some last minute shopping. I only need a few things so I shouldn't be long, but I do need to go. After seeing the devastating news in Glasgow, I am now terrified of going into town. I feel sick. I'm worried that something will happen. There are so many things on the news lately, and we are constantly being told to 'be aware', and I just feel sick.

I need to go he to town. Firstly, to get the things I need to get. But secondly, and possibly most importantly, I'm worried that if I don't, I'll be on a downward spiral to never going anywhere because I'm too scared.

I think I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice? I want to ask if I should go into town, if it's save enough, but I know I shouldn't ask questions like that, it just feeds the anxiety.

Also, I should mention, I'm on the waiting list for counselling, but it's taking a while!

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 11:22:30

Safe, not save, sorry.

3BloodyKids Tue 23-Dec-14 11:24:41

Hi summer, I've felt like this, it's horrible isn't it? But you're absolutely right, you really do have to go, to prove to yourself that it will be ok.

Shall we make a plan and think about how you can do this?

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 11:28:00

3 has a good idea. That's how I dealt with my anxiety at its worst. Plan it. Then as each part was ok it helped quieten the anxiety down.

3BloodyKids Tue 23-Dec-14 11:31:59

Think about what you need to do, each step of the way. Then look at any difficulties you can predict and how you can prepare for them.

Also think about what works for you - what can make this easier?

For example, do you have strategies for managing your breathing when you feel anxious?

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 11:32:25

Thank you so much. Right, I am going to do it.
I'm going to have something to eat and a cup of tea.
Then I'm going to get ready.
Then I'm going to leave, and get on the bus.
I know exactly where I need to go so I'll just go there, get what I need to get, get back on the bus and I'll be home.
You know when you just feel frozen to the couch? I could literally just stay here all day, knowing that I'm safe. But that's no way to live a life, and I know that.
I'm going to go and put the kettle on.

3BloodyKids Tue 23-Dec-14 11:34:16

Well done summer. You can do this.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 11:35:46

Well done Summer.

FallenAngel22 Tue 23-Dec-14 11:37:18

I know how you feel, I have GAD and it manifests itself in all sorts of ways. You sound determined to do it so well done! Can you treat yourself to something for when you get back? Think how proud of yourself you will feel. You can do it!

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 11:59:37

Thank you so much everyone! I've had something to eat and a cup of tea, so now I need to get ready. I feel better breaking it into small steps, feels much less over whelming.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 12:04:02

Will you pop back later if you have time? Let us know you're ok?

If you get anxious when you are out then just step to one side and take three deep breaths. You can do this.

Irishwhiskey Tue 23-Dec-14 12:13:28

I'm in exactly the same position as you right now.....I HAVE to go out, or will be letting people down. I meant to go at 10 but have been putting it off. Well done for making yourself do it, I know how hard it is! Let us know how you get on.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 12:25:51

Irish do you have a lot to do?

Irishwhiskey Tue 23-Dec-14 12:29:37

Not too much...a couple of last minute present additions, then waitrose for a few bits. Am telling myself I can get it done in an hour or so and will be safely home by 2....though at this rate I won't have left the house by then! Am showered and dressed now so going to just get on with it and get in the car.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 12:32:35

Have a safe trip and pop back after? An hour sounds about right.

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 12:33:27

Thank you so much everyone. I am dressed, make up is on, hair is brushed. I feel sick and really nervous. But I'm going to go regardless, and even if it's awful and I feel sick I'll still feel happy that I've done it once I'm home.

Irishwhiskey - I'm so sorry that you're going through the same feelings today. You have my every sympathy, it's horrible isn't it? And the more you put it off the worse it feels, it's so hard. I hope you're ok.

I will let you all know how I get on. I'm trying not to think about being in town, I'm just going to focus on leaving and getting on the bus. I can do that.

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 12:34:32

Well done Irishwhiskey! We can do this! �� let us know how you get on.

3BloodyKids Tue 23-Dec-14 13:17:26

let us know how you get on. Just in case you are reading this on your phone or something, don't forget, it feels bad, but it doesn't mean it is bad.

That feeling doesn't actually make anything bad happen. It just is what it is what is is IYSWIM.

Hope you're ok Summer and Irish.

SummerMelody Tue 23-Dec-14 14:08:42

I did it!! I am on the bus home now. I am so happy. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so worried. I even started to relax after a little while and went into a shop that I wasn't even planning to go in smile

Honestly, I can't thank everyone who replied enough. I wouldn't have gone otherwise and it would have been even harder the next time. Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. flowers

Irishwhiskey - hope you're doing ok too flowers

3BloodyKids Tue 23-Dec-14 14:16:29

WELL BLOODY DONE! grinthanks

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 14:18:54

Fantastic Summer!! fsmile

davidjrmum Tue 23-Dec-14 14:22:14

Summer - just wanted to say well done. This is exactly how I feel about going out in the car - but as you say, you've got to do it or it's even harder the next time. Hope you get all your shopping done!

Irishwhiskey Tue 23-Dec-14 14:41:14

Yay well done Summer! Well done for not letting the anxiety get the better of you!

I made it too, although can't say I enjoyed it much. But I got there, and even coped with the queue which was virtually the length of the shop. Thank you everyone for your lovely supportive messages- I got my phone out and read them when I felt a bit wobbly in he queue and it really helped.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 23-Dec-14 14:45:21

Yay Irish you've done brilliantly too!! fsmile

I'm glad you've found it helpful. This is the worst time of year to be at the shops as it is, without factoring in anxiety.

badbadleroybrown Tue 23-Dec-14 14:49:44

Well done Summer!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now