Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

what happens at first visit to a psychiatrist team?

(4 Posts)
123Anonymous123 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:09:50

The letter says the appointment can take up to 1 hour. What will happen?

I have been depressed and anxious forever many years and tried many drugs and CBT a few times. Nothing has helped i have no life sad

I think I'm quite well informed and I have some ideas about what treatments I would like to try. Are they likely to be open to suggestions and sensible discussion (like a GP) or do they operate a on a 'do as you're told' policy?

I am very anxious about this. I'm worried they won't be able to help or will just take me off valium which is addictive but does at least help a bit.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 18-Dec-14 13:53:55

My first lasted about ten minutes. He asked what medication I was on, if I was sleeping/eating/concentrating/hearingvoices etc and then gave me a prescription of new medication. It was very straightforward.

123Anonymous123 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:43:33

in and out in 10 minutes doesn't sound very thorough confused

w1968 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:58:54

They'd generally ask what type of symptoms you are currently struggling with. They'd explore why different treatments had worked/or not.
They're generally pretty good about listening to people's own views on what type of treatment they'd like, but that might be restricted according to what is available.
They won't necessarily automatically stop the Valium, but might discuss other alternatives with you.
Remember it's only recommendations not orders, and they are there to help you get better.

Hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now