Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Stupidly stopped taking meds.

(6 Posts)
wetwetwetfan Wed 17-Dec-14 08:56:43

Just that really... I was put on Sertraline this time last year at my lowest ever point. The transformation has been amazing. I felt better than i have in years. Really enjoying my life. Stupidly though i convinced myself that i was 'better' and that i didn't need the drugs anymore. I stopped taking them in October and last night my husband told me he felt like we were right back to where we were 18 months ago when i was really ill. Not empathising with him, lack of energy, lack of interest in things, stressing, not even got the energy to cook tea one day then manically scrubbing the house the next day.

Bleugh... how stupid am I?

windchimes23 Wed 17-Dec-14 10:25:12

You maybe came off to soon, did you have counselling along side the medication? You are not stupid, just sad, it's a pain in the backside I know.

You can always go back on meds. I am supposedly bipolar and regularly feel better, so I stop my meds. My Psychatrist always says that once I'm out of the depression I start focusing on the side effects of the meds and think they are making me numb, dumb and fat. So I stop the meds and round we go again.

At the moment I am un-medicated, I am taking Omega 369, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and 5-HTP. I really recommend the Omega 369 for brain health, not so sure about the rest.

I hope you can find equilibrium x

LastingLight Wed 17-Dec-14 14:22:42

Not stupid at all. I think most of us who take psychiatric meds fantasise about life without them and depending on your history it might have been a completely reasonable thing to do coming off them. So it was an experiment and it didn't work out - don't beat yourself up about it. See your doctor, get back on the meds and take things from there.

wetwetwetfan Wed 17-Dec-14 17:03:37

Thankyou...saw doctors today and am back on them but he also agreed that it was a reasonable assumption to make that I was better and it was ok to have a go at coming off them.

windchimes23 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:45:42

Glad you got sorted out, it's always worth a try stopping to see how the land lies. There is no shame in going off/on meds if you need them. Hope you feel better soon xx

MrsJuice Sun 21-Dec-14 22:56:18

I cold turkeyed Mirtazipine (upon monitored advice), and switched to Fluoxetine.
I think decided to just stop, like you.
Nightmare. My DH was angry, and I went back on. GP increased dosage, and after 2 weeks, I'm a lot more stable.
It's mad that we rationalise these things, but I understand why you did it.
Hope you stay well and safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now