Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram side effects

(5 Posts)
Lizziemae Tue 09-Dec-14 15:52:18

My GP recently prescribed Citalopram (20mg) for anxiety and depression and I have been taking them now for a fortnight. I have been having some side effects - in particular overwhelming fatigue. I am falling asleep anywhere and everywhere, including for an hour on Saturday in the supermarket car park and after I left work yesterday before driving home. I've even pulled up in side streets and fallen asleep - I only woke up when I got too cold. I fall asleep when I get home and given the choice between eating or sleeping am choosing sleeping every time. My sleeps are long - 3 hours or so at a time - and deep.

Last week I had 5 days off work and told them it was a virus. My family all thought I should go to my GP and get a note for more time off until the tiredness/sleepiness calms down and I "stop being a danger to myself by sleeping in inappropriate places" and also because my anxiety is work related. I phoned the surgery but there were no appointments and they gave me a telephone consultation, which got cut off after a very short time and before I had mentioned the fatigue to the dr. He phoned back and left me a message saying he'd changed the medication to Sertraline which would stop my diarrhoea side effects. I didn't even mention diarrhoea to him and it's not a side effect I've been experiencing.

My questions are:

Is this tiredness a normal side effect and when will it start to go away?
I also seem very, very forgetful (I usually have a good memory). Is this a normal side effect?
Is it ok to come back to work for a couple of days and then go off sick again?

foreverdepressed Tue 09-Dec-14 17:06:15

I had the exact same side-effects with citalopram and it never went away after 6 weeks or so I quit. Sertraline is much better, no tiredness with that at all.

lmarch Tue 09-Dec-14 22:18:20

hello! ive just registered on here. i have been on citalopram for roughly 4 yrs as flouxitine stoped working for me. i was on 20 for most of this time til last year went up to 30 as those close to me said i wasn't coping, very angry and resentful of those around me that had easier lives than me, my boys have special needs, mild to moderate but a lot of appointments and i'm on my own, dyslexia, dyspracsia, adhd, and asd plus extra anxiety disorder. They both in mainstream so you don't get restbite etc but many nights i can be up til 2 with a child that cant sleep and have 2 children with quirks all day everyday. Anyone else know how i feel?

sashh Wed 10-Dec-14 05:35:54

Maybe you need a lower dose?

When do you take it? I take mine at night because it helps me sleep

Lizziemae Wed 10-Dec-14 07:59:38

I take mine in the morning - maybe I'll switch to evening to see if that makes a difference. One of the effects that I do like is that I don't seem to care about stuff anymore, which is so unlike me. I am usually a bit of a perfectionist control freak. That feeling is very liberating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now