Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Borderline Personality Disorder

(13 Posts)
QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 12:28:17

Anyone else with BPD here? I was diagnosed in 2010 after two years of horrendous suffering, been doing very well since, went through therapy, anti-depressants, CBT. Thought I was coping but since graduting from uni I'm spiralling out of control. Moods are up and down, either completely maniac or really low, nowhere in between, no rest for the wicked. I can't sleep, I'm bingeing on food, alcohol and sex. I know I can get through this, with help from my loved ones and a little perseverance, but I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

creamhearts Mon 08-Dec-14 13:04:19

I have a diagnosis of BPD. DBT is the recommended therapy for it, I am eleven months into it and it is ok, hard work but ok.

Do you have any support you can access?

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 08-Dec-14 13:45:06

I was diagnosed about a fortnight ago.

QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 13:45:31

I'm still in contact with my therapist and I have a large support network of friends and family, although my partner is going through a bout of depression at the moment so he's not much help sad

QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 13:46:23

:Caulkhead: brew

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 08-Dec-14 13:46:55

Do you have a psychiatrist you are under the care of? I see mine every three weeks at the moment. Currently on quetiapine, citalopram, lorazepam and promazine.

I have a private therapist I've seen for three years, and I think I'm on a waiting list for dbt through the nhs.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 08-Dec-14 13:48:35

I too am telling myself I can get through this. I've only told the therapist and talked on here about the diagnosis. It "fits" in a better way than depression did, but I hate that I'm so up and down and so does everyone else

QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 13:58:59

I've had two therapists, I saw one for group therapy and another I still see for CBT, less regularly than I used to, but I think I will have to drop in to see her at some point in the next week.

I know, the mood swings are killing me at the moment.

QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 14:00:32

No antidepressants atm, previously had citalopram and fluoxetine but neither had any effect on me.

Nonameisgoodname Mon 08-Dec-14 17:06:43

Quetiapine has been really good, I've found. I still have ups and downs but it's helped them not to quite be so high and so low.

DidYouPackThePassport Mon 08-Dec-14 17:48:34

I was diagnosed with BPD after years of suffering. Like you I received CBT and antidepressants (paroxetine, fluoxetine) only for the difficulties to recur later - which left me feeling like I wasn't using the tools I learnt in CBT enough (with mental health issues it always feels like our fault somehow, doesn't it?).
It wasn't until a diagnosis of Aspergers for my young daughter earlier this year led to a diagnosis of Aspergers and Bipolar II for me. I'm in my late thirties. Stupid really, I should have known: both my father and sister are bipolar, but the BPD diagnosis threw me off the scent for over a decade.
I'm now on Wellbutrin (bupropion) and know I can add Lamactil to that if my moods need stabilising. I'm finally able to identify the help that works for me and accurately research to better understand (and love) myself.
I've written about living with both Borderline Personality disorder and bipolar on my blog. I hope you also find the equilibrium I'm discovering for myself.

QueenCleo Mon 08-Dec-14 21:54:57

Thank you all for your kind words flowers

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 08-Dec-14 21:56:17

Thank you for starting the thread. I feel less alone with it now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now