Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

depression, advice?

(3 Posts)
cuntbunting Sat 06-Dec-14 22:05:38

hi folks. am not a parent but I hoped MN could maybe give me some direct advice. am not looking for "you can get through this hun! you're wonderful! xx" - I have friends for that.

so, I started a new job about three years ago, after coming off IS/DLA that I was claiming due to depression. I worked part time for a bit, but since August I've been full time.

For a while everything was fine, but in the couple of weeks I've been feeling really not good. A few years back I tried to commit suicide, and I feel the same now as before I did the . I've gone to my GP, but all he's done is prescribed citalopram. He asked if I was "feeling sad and crying a lot" and to be honest I don't think he took me seriously.

I've chatted to a friend and she suggested I need to go back and ask for a psych referral to find out what's wrong. Thing is. the way I feel right now I don't think I can go and demand anything. (I do have an appointment with my gp in two weeks to see how I'm doing.)

I've taken the next week off work (spare holiday) and I'm going to see how I feel after that. But, I'm worried I'm simply incapable of full time work. Which is a problem because on my salary I can't pay the bills part time. Which doesn't help my depression either.

Basically, I think the way I am now is way past an RX and coming back later - I feel like I'm going to do something to myself if I don't get help, but I don't know how to do that.

Help?

(sorry if this doesn't make much sense - am not feeling very coherent right now.)

cuntbunting Sat 06-Dec-14 22:15:48

erm - reading this again I don't think I explained it well. basically - was depressed, got job, now it's come back. want GP to take me seriously. but can't complain because it's hard.

lastlostmonkey Sun 07-Dec-14 08:34:48

That sounds rough. I know v little (and am on phone so will be brief). Can you take someone with you to GP to help you get the referral? If not, is there a self referral psychological service where you are? Here (SE London) it's called Improving Access to Psychological Services (IAPT). You can google them.

I am depressed and find it very stressful thinking about much beyond today and also find work v difficult at the moment. Can you just try to put off thinking about whether you can work long term, and focus on getting things in place this week - gathering support from people etc.? It will be easier to make these decisions or judgements once you've got to a better place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now