Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

DH just admitted he doesn't want to live any more.

(3 Posts)
Illbeyourrock Fri 05-Dec-14 00:31:48

Just that really. He has a long standing history of mental health problems, he has been depressed and was told when he was in his early twenties that he had a mild bipolar disorder. Since then after trying various antidepressents which he hated he has always just bumbled along, quite down at times but often with long stints where you wouldn't ever know there was a problem.
Tonight however he was really down and admitted that he 'doesn't want to do this any more' and that the only thing keeping him here were me and our two boys. He says he has felt like this on and off since before he was even a teenager. He's fallen asleep on the sofa now and I don't know what to do. I honestly don't think he's an immediate danger to himself but he's just resigned himself to feeling like this forever. What do I do? Namechanged btw.

NanaNina Fri 05-Dec-14 01:03:13

I can understand this very well - I suffer from intermittent depression and have done for some years now and when the bad days come as they do very frequently I feel exactly the same............depression sucks the like out of us - makes us feel worthless, useless, hopeless and no good to anyone. It's a torment and can only be understood by anyone who has experienced it. I'm not sure what you can do other than be supportive. My DP would love to be able to take this all away from me and he feels helpless when I am sobbing for half the day (like today) and just want to hide under the duvet.

I think a lot of people with MH problems feel like this - we don't want to die - we just want the pain to end..........and yes our family keeps us here as we fear leaving them with the pain, guilt, whatever if we end our life. Not that I think I ever will, but suicide ideation (the thought of it but knowing we won't really do it) is very common in depression - one of the major symptoms.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - have had the day from hell today and dreading tomorrow. I used to be a happy, vibrant, confident person with a lot of friends - not the case any more.

ColouringInQueen Sun 07-Dec-14 21:43:23

Illbe so sorry to hear about your dh. Is he under the care of a psychiatrist? Has he ever had any therapy? Would he have another try with meds - maybe something newer available now? Do take care of yourself, I know how hard it can supporting a dh with depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now