Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

from citalopram to mirtazapine on to fluoxetine..any thoughts?

(3 Posts)
glitteronchips Tue 02-Dec-14 11:15:00

I have been on anti ds for many years...always coped to a degree with spells of anxiety and depression. This past year has been awful..anxiety out of control and depression at the worst I have ever had. My GP felt the citalopram had ceased to be effective (5 years on it at 40mg) and decided to try mirtazapine as I was not sleeping and its sedative effect would benefit me. I started on 15mg...then up to 30mg and finally to 45mg a fortnight ago. I am sleeping but the depression is worsening (each time the dose increased I felt I was slightly improved for a day or two and then back into the depths) I called GP again yesterday..my GP was unavailable so spoke to another as felt a fresh eye on things may help. This GP has put me on to fluoxetine...to have 30mg mirtazapine last night then 15mg tonight then a day without anything starting the fluoxetine on Thursday at 20mg. Does anyone have experience of similar..or just any thoughts of how soon this will improve...I am feeling increasingly desperate. I do not have thoughts of self harming or suicide (never have) but everything feels so sinister just now and I am pinning all hope on this.

fluffydressinggown Tue 02-Dec-14 12:11:48

I have done something similar and have found fluoxetine to be effective. I hope it works for you. I think it can take up to 6 weeks to be fully effective.

glitteronchips Tue 02-Dec-14 12:52:43

thank you for your reply...even a little relief would be good just now. The mirtazapine at least allowed me to remove myself through sleepbut day time is hellish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now