Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Over sensitive people and introverts, how do you defend yourself psychologically?

(3 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 01-Dec-14 23:06:03

I have a huge problem with people feeling they can just have a go at me. I think they must spot something in me that prompts them to do this. I'm not a weak person or someone who doesn't know my own mind, but I do find interacting with others an uncomfortable, and sometimes, threatening experience.

I am a professional introvert and would quite happily interact with no one apart from dh and the dcs.

I can't stand looking at, or talking to, others. I just wish people would leave me alone and ignore me, yet they insist upon sticking their oar in and I sometimes feel battered and bruised by these interactions. Stuff other people would feel is normal gets to me.

Anyone else feel this way? How do you manage these experiences?

WitchesGlove Sat 06-Dec-14 13:53:43

I'm sorry your feeling like this.

Have you considered counselling/CBT? Try and practice interacting a bit more, even if just for the sake of the dc's. You want them to learn to interact and deal with social situations.

Practice some good comebacks if you feel people are sticking their oars in or criticizing you. Use mumsnet classics, such as 'Did you mean to be so rude?' Or 'Doesn't work for me'.

HTH

Millie2013 Mon 08-Dec-14 06:55:51

I'm over sensitive, but not really introverted. That said, I avoid interacting with certain people, sometimes
I'm in the middle of a looooooong block of psychotherapy and it's helping hugely, but it's flipping hard work. Might this be an option for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now