Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone claiming PIP for Bipolar

(20 Posts)

Just that really, I have been on DLA for around 18 months and its swapping over to PIP, I just wondered if anyone else is claiming PIP for Bipolar and how the process went.

Thanks in advance.

Jane190 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:10:41

Hi there,
I am not though will have to apply for PIP once my DLA ends - I will watch this with interest. Have you looked at benefitsandwork.co.uk? They have really good advice, though it's subscription only.

namechanged0123 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:28:26

yes I get DLA and they sent me the forms for swapping to PIP.

After I did the form the assessment appointment came through depressingly quickly and with only a couple of weeks notice, I had to travel miles to the center too.

The assessment was quite degrading. I got the feeling the guy didn't believe a word I was saying. He asked the same questions over and over again in different words, the same questions that were on the form so I think the whole point is to try and catch you out? I am waiting to see if I get awarded anything but I think I will lose it all.

I strongly advise you have a friend or family member go with you to the assessment, it is extremely stressful and I don't think they understand mental health at all, all the questions are related to physical disability really.

The mobility questions are worded in a way that makes it almost impossible for anyone with a mental problem to qualify, even if you needed taxi or lifts everywhere.

I might subscribe to benefits and work, I wondered if it would be degrading. I don't really have anyone I could take, I think I will probably lose it all. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Jane190 Sun 30-Nov-14 14:07:04

Best of luck - it's so stressful. I will lose seventy four pounds a week, I don't know how I will be able to cope with this. Best of luck to you both.

Ive joined Benefits and Work so am reading through some of their guides just now, I have Citizens Advice coming out on the 11th to help me fill in the forms, but I'm not hopeful, I rarely leave the house but it's getting them to believe this.

namechanged0123 Sun 30-Nov-14 15:14:07

yes one of my problems is getting out of the house, doing things like shopping is difficult.

The assessor really didn't seem to believe it when I said I don't generally go to new places without support. He asked many times through the interview about socializing and where I liked to eat out, go to the cinemar, pub, etc. I don't know what part of 'rarely leave the house alone' he didn't understand.

It is just so difficult having to tell a complete stranger about all the things you can't do and can't cope with.

Yes it is difficult trying to let others know how hard life can be, I had to appeal my ESA because I go to the shop which is opposite my house, I have my renewal for ESA coming up in February, so it will be a stressful few months.

Hopefully you wont have to appeal namechange let us know how you get on. smile

Well that's the form through the post, thank God I have citizens advice coming out to help me fill it in, it's to be returned before 27th December, I hate that they have done this just before Christmas, Ive had to call my psychiatrist for an early appointment because of the way I am feeling. sad

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Wed 11-Feb-15 18:51:24

OP here, I don't have to go for a medical assessment as they have enough evidence on paper, still waiting a decision though.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Tue 24-Feb-15 16:34:30

Got my decision, it went in my favour and I was awarded enhanced rate for Daily Living.

Beckybear Sun 07-Jun-15 09:46:57

There is a lot regarding mental health activity 11 planning and following a journey is a lot to do with mental health not your physical ability to do it. Majority of daily living questions cover mental health as well as physical. Shopping, house work are not taken into consideration

notsure13 Tue 10-Nov-15 15:36:46

Hi just seen this about bypolar can you help me

fedupandtired Tue 10-Nov-15 17:57:21

I get PIP for bipolar. I didn't expect to get awarded it to be honest as I didn't put a great deal of information on the form. When it came to the face to face interview however I wasn't long out of hospital having been in on a section and that obviously went in my favour.

notsure13 Wed 11-Nov-15 13:39:53

i been to the first interview but he was si rude i felt horrible afterwards he awarded me no points..can anyone just help as i have one to ask

redannie118 Wed 11-Nov-15 14:54:21

Hi I claimed it for my dh who has bp2 in may last year and he was awarded at enhanced rate without a interview in october. He had been very ill and under the care of the crisis team all summer so im sure that helped.make sure when you fill the form in list ALL the help you need to function as that helps too. Good luck

notsure13 Wed 11-Nov-15 17:47:41

thankyou i will..im going on my own too as my frie nd cant make it

Polarbear70 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:28:35

I have just been turned down for Pip i was on dla im bi polar i also have mobility issues due to having a ripped tendon in my foot i take tramadol on prescription for the foot pain. I cant walk far and am in agony. In having special shoes made by the hospital orthotic department between my mental health issues and physical pain i dont know where to turn. Any advice please and thanks

abblie Sat 14-Oct-17 20:34:53

I had to move from dla to pip and had my medical assessment even though the medic profession was not fully trained in mental health. The form and assessment was so degrading and I felt like I was talking to a wall even though I had my support worker with me. I had cried and worried for the past 2 weeks and I am convinced I am going to be turned down. A form and assessment needs to be created for mental health only

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now