Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Long term effects of being sectioned?

(8 Posts)
fluffydressinggown Wed 26-Nov-14 22:40:18

I have been sectioned a few times under most parts of the MHA, including S.3 (which I know makes a difference for 117 aftercare). Does this mean my CMHT have to be careful in discharging me?

Legally are there any ramifications?

I have been told that it makes it harder to travel?

I have a holiday booked for next year (to Gran Canaria) and have travel insurance but they don't know I was sectioned, I did declare that I have MH problems but it just asked me for my diagnosis and whether I was violent, which I am not. Do I have to tell them?

I have life insurance through work, I know they won't pay out if I kill myself but if I have an accident will it be ok even though I have been sectioned? I just want my DH to be ok if something happens to me.

Are there any other long term effects?

dontrunwithscissors Fri 28-Nov-14 12:30:25

FDG, sorry, I can't help much, other than to day it can affect getting into the USA on the visa waiver scheme. I'm not sure about insurance--in my experience, insurance companies do everything they can to avoid paying out--but whenever I've looked into this kind of stuff, the questions are related to your diagnosis and whether you've ever been hospitalised. I've never seen anything asking about whether it was voluntary or not.

fluffydressinggown Mon 01-Dec-14 21:42:16

Yes, I have heard about the USA but nobody seems to have any actual experience of it (am freak for being sectioned sad). Thank you for your reply, I hope you are ok BTW.

SnowyMouse Tue 02-Dec-14 12:21:37

((( fluffy ))) I'm interested in this topic too, I've had s.2 s and a s.3 sad If you're a freak, then so am I!

dontrunwithscissors Tue 02-Dec-14 14:19:24

FDG, the question on the visa waiver form is something like 'do you have, or have you had, a mental illness that has or could have caused injury to yourself or others?' I've included details below. I've always ticked no--the question is open to interpretation. I think the connection with being sectioned is that, by definition, you were considered to be a danger to yourself. However, I've never been asked about this on entry to the US and they can't access your medical records to check. (They can do this for Canadians.) I always carry a letter from my pdoc stating that my condition is controlled and I am stable.

If you tick 'yes', you have to apply for a visa, which requires you to go down to the US embassy and be interviewed.

Physical or Mental Disorders

With regard to physical or mental disorders, answer 'Yes' to this question if:

(a) You currently have a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(b) You had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others and the behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

Answer 'No' if:

(a) You currently have no physical or mental disorders; or

(b) You have or had a physical or mental disorder without associated behavior that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare of that of others; or

(c) You currently have a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior, but that behavior has not posed, does not currently pose nor will pose a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(d) You had a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior that posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others, but that behavior is unlikely to recur.

From the US Embassy website:

"Travellers with mental illnesses can travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program provided that their condition does not render them a danger to themselves or others. They may wish to carry letter from their doctor to that effect to facilitate their entry into the United States."

dontrunwithscissors Tue 02-Dec-14 14:25:19

PS my pdoc's letter also lists my meds as I have to carry half a pharmacy with me on each trip. I also get a fresh prescription for all my meds before I go and take a photocopy with me. I was particularly concerned that I have proof I'm prescribed diazepam as it's a controlled substance.

As I've said, nobody has ever questioned me on my meds or my health. (I've been in hospital 3 times, but all voluntary.) I think it would be difficult for them to find out about you being sectioned. They don't have access to you health records and I would guess that nobody from the CMHT would discuss your health over the phone without your permission

fluffydressinggown Tue 02-Dec-14 16:30:41

Oh snowy I am sorry if I offended you! You are not a freak. I just sometimes feel a bit alone having been sectioned - most posters who have been ip seem to have been in informally. I really hope you are not offended.

That's interesting about American Visas, thanks run with scissors.

SnowyMouse Tue 02-Dec-14 17:27:46

I'm not offended at all, I meant my remark tongue in cheek - after all, you can't control whether they will section you or not. ((( fluffy )))

I didn't realise that about visiting the US, that's interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now