Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Getting fat and sleeping a lot, hurrah for antidepressants

(4 Posts)
porridgefortea Mon 24-Nov-14 12:46:24

I have only been on mirtazapine a week and I cannot stop eating.
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the weight gain to a minimum? I am constantly hungry and have no energy at all to exercise yet.

Pandora37 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:15:05

The constant hunger will lessen, normally after a couple of weeks. I still get it occasionally but it's just a case of self-restraint I've found, and if you're feeling hungry trying to eat something healthy rather than eating lots of sugar, which I know is easier said than done.

I've been on mirtazapine for 6 weeks now and gained about 6 pounds, which I don't think is too bad. Count calories if you have to so you know exactly how much you're having or try and eat things that you know will fill you up for longer.

porridgefortea Tue 25-Nov-14 13:13:48

Thank you pandora, I'm also craving alcohol now, I know you shouldn't drink with mirtazapine or most antidepressants but the craving is really strong-more than the hunger. Have you found this at all?

Pandora37 Tue 25-Nov-14 17:49:34

No I haven't but then I rarely drink so probably wouldn't. It does make you crave things that are full of sugar and calories. I wonder if it's psychological as well, you know you're not supposed to have it so that makes you want it even more? I don't think a one-off alcoholic drink will do much harm though. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but it's advised against because it can increase the sedative effect. As long as you're not intending on getting drunk or drinking a whole bottle of wine, and you're somewhere where you crash out in case it does make you really sleepy, I think a small alcoholic drink would be okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now