Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to tackle Bad pmt.

(10 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Sun 23-Nov-14 08:37:49

Every month , about two weeks before my period I get crazy. I'm emotional, snappy, think about leaving my bf( some issues there), cry and chain smoke. Wtf can I do? I don't feel stable .

Blue2014 Sun 23-Nov-14 09:22:08

Depends which approach you want, your doctor was prescribe meds, or try a multi vitamin, or Chinese medicines can help

superstarheartbreaker Sun 23-Nov-14 17:21:12

As natural as possible I reckon. I've started taking evening primrose. Will google Chinese medicine.

rootypig Sun 23-Nov-14 17:22:39

Look up magnesium, and vit B6 (you can usually get them in one tablet, Solgar does one). After some not very scientific trial and error, I think this has made the most difference to me.

If you can get a handle on your diet too, that will help enormously.

superstarheartbreaker Sun 23-Nov-14 18:54:05

Hi there.. What kind of diet is best? Rich in magnesium?

Blue2014 Sun 23-Nov-14 18:58:32

I know for me that sugar has a massive impact on my pmt (ie,
Don't have it) being overweight also makes mine much worse

lastlostmonkey Sun 23-Nov-14 19:11:09

I just logged in to post exactly the same. I stopped bfing in March and have had a lot of stressful things happening over the months since then, relationship stuff, work stuff, family stuff. I got a referral to psychological services and while waiting for the appointment I realised that it's much worse (or maybe only happens) during the week before my period.

I get agitated to the point where I have pretty horrible thoughts about ways to get rid of the feelings, so low that I feel like I want to die, literally. I have a constant cycle of negative thoughts about myself that I can't get out of. On the good days I just feel numb and like I am managing minute by minute. I don't know whether to go to the appointment now or not, as it seems to be related to hormones, but it's still pretty distressing when it happens.

Blue, interesting about sugar. I looked for supplements and couldn't find much that suggested anything, but will try what you suggest, rooty.

Does anyone know whether I'll be laughed out of the room if I make this psychological services appointment? I don't want to go if they're going to say it's too trivial, but I also don't feel like I have a consistent mental health problem.

rootypig Sun 23-Nov-14 21:14:04

Oh last that sounds awful. I would go to the appointment, for sure - what you describe is not trivial. Many - most? - MH issues have a physiological component. It doesn't meant that talking and other therapies have no place in treating them. I would hope and imagine they'd welcome the insight, and be able to work through some of the emotional stumbling blocks it's producing, as well as give you coping strategies.

I have never tried acupuncture (can't afford it) but if you can, I think it can get brilliant results.

Re diet - I think keeping blood sugar steady is helpful for mood, full stop. That's why I live on M&Ms. Ditto alcohol and caffeine, they're all irritants. Eating a diet rich in foods with minerals like calcium and magnesium and B vitamins is supposed to help.

If you google PMS diet you get lots back, though it's hard to know what's guff and what's not. But I think some of the sensible ideas like upping leafy greens, less booze, sleeping more, eating complex carbs, exercising in the fresh air, are bound to help.

MajesticWhine Sun 23-Nov-14 21:22:38

You could try Agnus Castus. It's a herbal remedy and it's been miraculous for my PMT. It's marketed as Kira PMS Relief or PremHerb.

Bitsnbobs78 Mon 24-Nov-14 18:46:56

It sounds more like PMDD, I used to get the rage and depression the same I tried everything. In the end the only thing that helped me is low dose anti depressants and the Yasmin contraceptive pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now