Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

depression and lack of motivation.

(9 Posts)
Mel0Drama Sat 22-Nov-14 12:31:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GratefulHead Sun 23-Nov-14 09:02:48

Bless you, I totally understand the lack of motivation.

Can you make a plan to do ONE thing a day? It can be anything from cleaning the sink to having a five minute walk or even just getting dressed. It's about small successes and feeling good about achieving them. I also have a rule that if I am going to another room I take ONE thing that belongs in that other room and get it there. A quick scan of the room I am in gives me the item....and sometimes there's nothing to take.

Hope your midwife visit goes well.

And don't discount the effect of stopping your meds so suddenly as that's probably making you feel worse.

As for Fluoxetine, there are no reports of it having caused problems for a growing baby. As with all these things the companies cannot ethically test them so they rely on reports where women HAVE taken them in pregnancy and look at the outcome. These seem to suggest that you can safely take Fluoxetine.

Quitelikely Sun 23-Nov-14 09:06:14

The way to beat this is by not thinking about what needs doing. Just literally stand up, then go and pick something up and put it away, then continue on from there.

I have been in your shoes and it's what I did. And for me a tidy house really did mean a tidy head!

Go go go! Come back and give us a grin when it's done!

Moniker1 Sun 23-Nov-14 09:13:46

Can you change all these thoughts of what I HAVE to do to what I want to do, is there anything that you would actually enjoy doing. Cleaning the living room would not be high on my agenda. Going for a walk is something which always used to be reluctant to do but I've found by the time I'm heading back home (circular route) my mood has lifted and I am more positive, I'm about to tear myself away from MN and do that.

What about a nice jumper you would like to wear or putting some make up on to encourage you out of the pjs. Or stand under a hot shower and do some relaxing?

BirdhouseInYourSoul Sun 23-Nov-14 09:25:44

How far are you into your pregnancy? There are times where it's more common to be tired so don't underestimate the physical side of things too.

For me I try to pick small things to start with and find that once I'm up and about it's far easier to keep going. I usually have a list - quite broken down so not just 'tidy lounge' but with lots of small things on there like dust shelves, empty bin, tidy up magazines etc. I find it helps if I'm ticking off lots of things as it spurs me on.

I also set myself a minimum time for tackling the list, so I have to do 30 minutes and try and do what I can in that time frame. I usually do keep going once I've reached it but starting seems easier when you know it's not going to be hours of work somehow.

idlevice Sun 23-Nov-14 22:01:34

I will try to do something I don't mind doing even if there is tonnes of other stuff that I should be doing (which is always) so at least I do something, even if it would have been better to do something more urgent or that makes more difference.

Another tactic that sometimes works with me is to think how much crapper things will be if I don't do it, eg if I don't do some ironing then I will only have a few things to wear that I don't really like or I will be forced into ironing it at the last minute & get myself stressed when I should be getting ready going somewhere. That is actually a bad example as my ironing pile is so big it can almost be seen from space & I'm living in a couple of tops that don't need ironing, but it illustrates the idea I hope.

Mel0Drama Sun 23-Nov-14 22:53:42

GratefulHead Mon 24-Nov-14 07:41:45

Mel, as an ex community midwife and health visitor I can assure you that I rarely noticed the state of tidiness in anyone's home. Just about the only time I noticed was in those immaculate houses that some people have (oh how do they do it), because then I felt inadequate about MY home. grin

Mel0Drama Mon 24-Nov-14 23:52:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now