Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Pnd twice but really would like third baby

(6 Posts)
Sunshineaftertherain Tue 18-Nov-14 13:02:21

Hi. I'm not a regular poster but definitely a regular lurker wink.

I'm currently in the throws of my usual depression relapse in the lead up to Christmas. I find coping with the financial pressures and pressure to be perfect really difficult.

I suffered severe pnd with ds1 (5) and not quite as bad with ds2 (15 months)but bad enough to be hospitalised. The thing I'm wondering is has anyone here done it a third time? I'm desperate for a third and I think that the prospect of not being able to because of depression is really pulling me down lower than usual.

I worry mostly what other people will think. People (family, friends, even my gp) have joked hat they'd leave the country if I had another. But this really affects me. Are they joking? Really?

Then there's financial implications. Most of my stress is caused by financial worry (even though we are in a better position than many). I become so stressed by debt and the feeling I'm not giving my children enough that it's driven me almost to suicide. I know that this is my illness but...

I suppose I just want to know if anyone did it a third time with mental health problems ( not just postnatally btw) I honestly feel so low when I think about never having just one more. But I'm scared of the implications and what people might think. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kittykat7 Wed 19-Nov-14 05:31:00

I had Pnd 3 times. With my third I was under the care of a psychiatrist & I was on meds during the pregnancy & after the birth. I think for me not having any family support was a big factor. I have no parents & my in laws did nothing to help. Not getting enough sleep or rest made things worse. I live in another country now & I had my last 2 here. We managed to muddle through. DH took 3 months off work after my 2nd child or I would have had to be hospitalised. We also had financial worries too so that contributed. I would say speak to your Dr as there are meds you can take during & after pregnancy.

icklekid Wed 19-Nov-14 05:38:43

I've a friend who had awful pnd whose been helping me cope with ds1... she had 3 boys and pbd 3 times. I'd be more concerned if the extra child was going to cause you too much financial anxiety than pnd from your post...

Iwasinamandbunit Thu 20-Nov-14 08:56:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Phoenixfrights Thu 20-Nov-14 18:51:16

I have a similar history to yours, except I had it far worse with no 2. The GP advised me never to have more children and I have taken his advice on board. I think in your circumstances it would be a recipe for disaster. Sorry to be blunt. I do feel your pain. It's not a joke and they shouldn't be making light of it.

Sunshineaftertherain Thu 20-Nov-14 23:07:26

Thanks so much for your replies. I agree, I'm definitely not in the best place to be making life altering decisions! I have an appointment to see my gp next week because my most recent episode was quite scary to say the least.

I have just started a new job which will relieve some financial pressure but honestly this time of the year just does something to me. I always end up very very low.

Thanks so much for all of your advice. It's nice to know I'm not alone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now