Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

ads and alcohol

(7 Posts)
lillylop Fri 14-Nov-14 19:02:26

Been on citalopram for nearly 2 weeks and just started to feel better. Not touched alcohol for over a month but really miss the odd glass of wine. Anyone have the odd drink on these kind of meds or is it a total no no

massagegirl Fri 14-Nov-14 19:04:42

Would like to know too! Am also two weeks into citalopram.

sunflower49 Fri 14-Nov-14 19:04:59

I think It's okay. I used to take Citalapram and it worked, and I had more than the odd glass of wine on several occasions.

If you're not drinking a lot, I think it will be fine,but as with anything, be cautious, if you feel different in a bad way, or not quite right in any way, leave off before you've sought medical advice.

sunflower49 Fri 14-Nov-14 19:05:37

Everybody is different, too so one person's account may be quite different to the rest with head meds.

Tallypet Fri 14-Nov-14 19:08:51

I drank on Citalopram and was fine. I think they only recommend you don't drink because Cit is an upper (SSRI) and alcohol is a downer. Many women I know - who've been on ADs for years still drink normally (note: not excessively).
I

sunflower49 Fri 14-Nov-14 19:16:28

They put 'avoid alcohol' on many medications but I think that medical professionals will over emphasise the point , if you really really CAN'T drink on a medication at all, not just 'Best if you avoid drinking on these', more like 'You absolutely cannot have a drink on these, at all, is that going to be okay?' Sort of thing.

I had some meds once where the latter was emphasised-I wish I had have asked why/what would happen!

fluffydressinggown Fri 14-Nov-14 20:01:34

I drink as normal on anti-depressants (which have included citalopram). It has been fine for me and I have never been advised not to drink at all (like you are with metronidazole for example).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now