Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I CANNOT COPE with ailments.

(14 Posts)
Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 10:05:02

Hi
I'm currently unwell with depression. It's been severe, but slowly improving, still really fragile.
Anyway, it's winter, I've a mild head cold, had another bug a few weeks ago, both straightforward, but I am so terrified, constantly checking my glands in case it's anything more serious (autoimmune, severe virus etc).
I am generally very health physically, even when depressed my blood count etc all optimum, colds go quickly bit I am always terrified of minor ailments and just can't cope. Even when not depressed I am like this but to lesser extent.
Help! I know it's illogical, but I don't trust my gp, and Dr Google is not helping!

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 10:06:09

Also terrified that new meds have caused my immune system to fail :-\

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 11:03:38

Bump

LastingLight Thu 13-Nov-14 11:35:59

What medication are you on for the depression and how long have you been taking it? Have you had any talk therapy?

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 12:10:18

I'm on 200mg sertraline and 100 mg quetiapine. Been on ser for months and q for a month. I started therapy a few weeks ago. It's been hard :-(

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 16:34:40

Bump again

bluebell345 Thu 13-Nov-14 16:48:53

sorry for your situation. sad
can you see another dr at your gp? more understanding one?
Maybe your meds are not helping enough or you may need cbt as well.
don't google your illnesses, not a good idea.
flowers

bluebell345 Thu 13-Nov-14 16:50:29

you maybe experiencing some medication side effects as well.
its best to discuss with a new dr.

lillylop Thu 13-Nov-14 17:01:33

I also suffer from health anxiety. Been on ads for a few weeks, up n down but early days. Also have course of cbt, not started yet but I hear it's quite effective. I've also been seeing a private therapist and figuring out why I feel like this is really helpful. Maybe you could try this?

lillylop Thu 13-Nov-14 17:04:59

Oh and try and stay away from Google, it's a nightmare for me!! Xx

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 19:08:00

Thanks for replying, my gp is actually quite good, but he is a bit dismissive and unfortunately as I live in a sparsely populated area, he's all we've got! I see psych re meds in a few weeks ; he's fine but again I feel he's rather dismissive of my concerns.
I worry constantly about catching bugs because it sets this all off :-(. As a family we are ok, don't get loads of bugs, rarely vomiting ones, mild colds etc but still bad :-\

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 19:09:11

Oh, lilly, yes I've been seeing good therapist, much of issues is related to ptsd from early life, thanks

lillylop Thu 13-Nov-14 19:29:29

Mine is mainly related to my daughter who has a medical condition which means any childhood illnesses are dangerous as they put her at risk of a stroke and brain damage. However I was a bit like this before she arrived but this has just tipped me over the edge and stared anxieties about other things. I sometimes think it's the only way I can feel. Even when all is ok I still feel the impending doom.

Smartleatherbag Thu 13-Nov-14 21:09:27

Oh gosh, that sounds so hard to deal with flowers. Not surprised you fear ailments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: