Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

fluoxetine and anxiety panic attacks

(12 Posts)
wishiwasacollie Wed 12-Nov-14 07:53:50

Am on week 3 of 20 mg but am having panic attacks which last all day ie shaking hot and cold retching heart racing. Panicing about unknown mistakes at work. Cannot eat. Is this normal and should it pass ie part of the initial side effects. Was told it would get worse before getting better. Was put on it for mood swings due to menopause

foreverton Wed 12-Nov-14 22:37:03

Hi, I'm now in week 6 on fluoxetine, the side effects were absolutely horrendoussad
I feel a million times better now, turning point was around week 4, please persevere, good lucksmile x

Queenofknickers Wed 12-Nov-14 23:00:55

I've been on it for 20 years and it changed my life. Definitely give it 4 weeks but don't be afraid to them maybe try another - it can be trial and error. Good luck x

wishiwasacollie Thu 13-Nov-14 07:56:25

Thank you. Good to know. Good evening but awake at 3am shaking but not so bad this morning

foreverdepressed Thu 13-Nov-14 10:39:15

Were you having the panic attacks before taking the fluoxetine? If not then it sounds like it just doesn't agree with you at all.

wishiwasacollie Mon 01-Dec-14 14:24:49

Just in case this helps others. Beginning of week 4 there was a massive change. No more panic or anxiety attacks. Well not to same extent yeah!

Jewson Tue 02-Dec-14 09:30:36

So glad to read this right now. I've been put on a dose of 20mg once daily am on day 8 and have been feeling awful. Seems to have heightened all my anxiety symptoms etc. everyone saying to stick with it for longer. Hoping to feel better soon.

NewName123 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:05:29

Not being funny but if you are having problems with the menopause why don't they treat that instead of giving you AD?

wishiwasacollie Tue 02-Dec-14 18:16:18

Jewson hang in there it gets worse before it gets better and then it does

Newname123 they give you ad to help with the side effects of menopause ie the mood swings etc. You are not per se being treated for depression

Rosewynvater1 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:23:21

I have been on prozac for 3 weeks now and have had sever panic attacks and anxiety for a week, post natal depression really taking a hold, worried about loosing my mind, need help!

JaneAHersey Thu 04-Dec-14 13:04:34

I am now 61 when I was 34 I was reluctant to take medication for anxiety/panic attacks because I had seen how medication had destroyed my mother's health.

I took anti anxiety medication for 2 weeks and it took 6 months of hospital treatment to break the addiction. The side effects of the medication was far worse than the panic attacks.

bilbodog Thu 04-Dec-14 13:41:00

I took Prozac a while ago with no side effects you are describing. Eventually they didn't seem to be helping any more so the Dr changed me on to Citalopram which he said was similar - didn't even have to wean myself off one and on to the other. Been on that for years - no problems. I would go back and see the Doctor and may be try a different one. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now