Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and weight gain. Sorry if this is trivial

(10 Posts)
TheRealAmandaClarke Mon 10-Nov-14 20:29:22

or am I just destined to be fat?
I have been taking citalopram for around two months. No significant change in my diet or activity but I am slowly gaining weight. I cannot bear to see my reflection, my body feels awful and I don't really want to look after it now, if that makes any sense, and although my anxiety is dampened I feel quite flat (and fat).
I also cannot sleep.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it worth asking for a change of medication? I don't really want to stop ADs altogether because the anxiety was crippling.

Cocolepew Mon 10-Nov-14 20:31:47

I put over a stone on very, very quickly with Citalopram. To be honest I wasn't that bothered because it was better than the anxiety.

Cocolepew Mon 10-Nov-14 20:32:49

Its not trivial, if it is annoying you ask your GP for a change in medication smile.

TheRealAmandaClarke Mon 10-Nov-14 20:34:07

Thank you. I think i might ask.

squiggler Mon 10-Nov-14 21:35:35

Might be worth talking to your doctor like Coco suggested. I put on about 2 stone in the year that I was on citalopram. It was worth it to be rid of the anxiety though.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Nov-14 06:38:17

Yes i can see the point about it being a worthwhile trade off. The anxiety was awful.
But it would be nice to not get fat too blush

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Nov-14 17:30:15

So. W GP today and she very kindly changed me over to fluoxetine. We shall see.

squiggler Tue 11-Nov-14 17:57:10

That's great, I hope the fluoxetine works out for you smile

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Nov-14 18:25:09

Thank you

Cocolepew Tue 11-Nov-14 19:02:09

Good luck with it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now