Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Having a minor breakdown

(11 Posts)
PrettyPictures92 Sun 09-Nov-14 09:59:06

Hey, sorry if this gets a bit long, I'm just really looking for some coping mechanisms cause my usual ones seem to have failed me this time.

I started councelling a couple weeks ago, it's mostly just me talking and the councillor listening. Only had two appointments, the first was all form filling and questionair type things with 5 mins at the end to talk about what I wanted to get out of it. On friday it was just me talking about everything really and I'm suddenly feeling everything that was put away and hidden, every bit of pain is back and I just can't stop feeling it.

Had a minor breakdown last night, had been fine chatting away on mn and keeping busy with the little ones during the day but feeling kinda hyper and it just feels like a sudden crash after they went to bed and I was left on my own.

It could be a combination of being sick with throat infection/unable to eat cause throat is that sore/feeling emotionally shakey after the councelling on Friday but I've not broken down and cried that much for in so long, not even when I had my breakdown. I ended up feeling hysterical, crying that hard I couldn't breath and I couldn't calm down and that's not like me. I cope with the shittiest of things, I'm stronger than this, I've had to be strong for the past few years and suddenly I can't be, I feel shakey and emotional and in so much pain from it all.

I've got my little ones to look after, no friends or family here that I could ask to help out. My dsis is normally the person I phone when I need a boost but she's just had a baby and is so busy/exhausted herself that I can't call her. I wouldn't want to put what I'm going through on what's one of the happiest times of her life either and there's no one else to turn to.

The social work got involved when I had my breakdown start of this year and are closing my case on Wednesday, I don't want them to think I've suddenly taken a massive step back. They've been amazing to me, helped so much but it felt so good that they finally thought I was well enough to not need their support. Obviously if I still feel like this come Wednesday then I'll tell her how I feel but I'm hoping to pull myself together by then.

I don't want my little ones seeing me like this either but I'm really struggling. So does anyone have some good coping mechanisms? Ways to stop me feeling so shakey and overwhelmed. I know I'm stronger than this but I just don't feel it right now.

Sorry if this seems rambled, I can't seem to think straight atm.

MrsMinton Sun 09-Nov-14 10:06:24

On this website

www.getselfhelp.co.uk

There are some relaxation exercises and mp3s to listen to.

My counsellor recommended the site. It's all stirred up for you which is why you feel the way you do. I've been the same and have just started my sessions.

If you want to pm me please do. thanks

MrsMinton Sun 09-Nov-14 10:18:59

Also I'd say break your day down to only essentials and be really gentle with yourself. You are strong. You are just tired and poorly which makes it so much harder. If you can get some soluble paracetamol or take chikdrens 6+ paracetamol syrup because that's what I had after my tonsils were taken out.

PrettyPictures92 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:19:32

Thank you MrsMinton I've been feeling like I'm so foolish for feeling this way, feel like a fraud too cause everyone keeps saying how fantastic I've been doing. Even at my lowest I've managed to hold myself together even if it's just been while the kids are awake, today I just can't seem to get my head straight.

Will take a look at that site, thank you flowers

PrettyPictures92 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:22:04

I've been taking lemsip/calpol (easier to swallow than tablets) The antibiotics I got from the doc didn't work though gargling with salt water helped ease it for a couple days then it came back full force. I think if I didn't feel that unwell it might not be so bad but I just feel like a wreck today

MrsMinton Sun 09-Nov-14 10:30:18

How long have you had the sore throat? They make you so unwell. It might be worth seeing your GP again. Plus even if you can't eat just try and drink lots. You might be a bit dehydrated which happens easily with illness and that causes tiredness and confusion to be worse.

You aren't a fraud lovely. They wouldn't be happy to sign you off of you weren't doing a fantastic job. It's a blip. Scary and tiring but a blip.

dontrunwithscissors Sun 09-Nov-14 10:35:33

I oftrn found counselling sessions draining, esp at first. I used to feel worse fr days after while I tried to process all the raw emotion that had been brought to the surface. You need to be kind to yourself and understand that counselling can be incredibly hard work, but worth it in the end.

PrettyPictures92 Sun 09-Nov-14 11:50:29

Sorry the little ones needed some attention. I've had it a couple weeks, started when I got the cold but the colds gone now and I've still that awful cough/throat that feels like there's ground up glass in it every time I try to swallow/swollen glands. Doc had a look and the inside was red raw but apart from the antibiotics there's nothing they can do. It'll pass eventually though.

Sitting (try to) drinking a cuppa with the kids colouring in and chatting away so feeling a bit better and a bit more foolish now confused Thank you both for the kind words and support, it means a lot to me flowers

MrsMinton Sun 09-Nov-14 12:01:39

Enjoy the colouring Pretty and pop back if you need to. smile

Rachela88 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:03:32

I hope you feel better soon! It's hard to stay strong when you want to break down and your trying to be strong in front of/for your children,I think the counselling will help,it's hard when you have to bring things up that you had pushed away in your mind or felt you'd felt with.you sound a strong person and seems you've pulled through worse! Just remember that and keep reminding yourself how strong you are!

Rachela88 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:04:38

That's meant to say dealt with blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now