Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone with previous anxiety disorder?

(6 Posts)
Threeboysandus Sat 08-Nov-14 17:50:00

After I had ds2, I suffered with post natal anxiety. It was awful. So debilitating. I got over it eventually..well I learned to live with it and it stopped controlling my life to extent it was. I'm now able to love anxiety free day to day but I have awful anxiety around alcohol. I love going out for a few drinks with my friends (only happens every 6 weeks or so as we're busy with three kids) but I can't cope with te feelings of anxiety the next day. I've started to dread night out for fear of feeling like a used to for the following few days. I wish I could just give up alcohol but I used to enjoy it so much. I wish I could completely get over my anxiety. Does anyone else feel like this?

NameFear Sun 09-Nov-14 00:26:42

I've had this regarding alcohol. Only recently...a year maybe?

I mentioned it to my friend, that I just couldn't cope with a 'hangover' (even when I've only had a few drinks, not drunk at all) the next day because I feel paranoid, anxious, jumpy. She casually said 'Oh yes! It's called beer-fear, I get it sometimes'.

It kind of made me feel better tbh. I've googled it since, and it is relatively common, even in people that don't generally suffer with anxiety. Just the way the body can react to alcohol. I do find it a shame, because I too enjoy the odd night out but I've now realised that, for me, it's one or the other. Stay completely away from alcohol and be OK(ish). Or have a few drinks, but I know what's coming the next day.

Not sure if that helps at all, but you're definitely not the only one.

pebblepots Sun 09-Nov-14 03:53:23

Yes common, I get it and always have. Recently discussed with a friend and found out they do too.

If I drink less its not so bad. Basically I don't drink like I used to as I don't want to feel that way.

Did you find any techniques to deal with your post natal anxiety? How about using them to deal with post night-out anxiety too? Such as CBT techniques or mindfulness (meditation).

3lovelykids Sun 09-Nov-14 16:29:41

Hi I really struggle with this too it drives me insane!

Threeboysandus Mon 10-Nov-14 06:26:52

Yes I suppose I used distraction techniques. I usually clean like billio when I'm hungover but I just hate that feeling when I wake up with a hangover. My heart races, I feel sick and start to think there's something wrong with me. I'd love to just give up alcohol but I enjoy it when I'm drinking and I suppose my social life (small small social life!) is based around alcohol. I'd only go out when there's an event like a wedding, birthday etc.

Threeboysandus Mon 10-Nov-14 06:27:28

Sorry to hear you all suffer too but it is nice to know I'm not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now