Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you talk to your therapist/psychologist about something very difficult / embarrassing?

(10 Posts)
MaryShelley Fri 07-Nov-14 18:24:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lifesentence Fri 07-Nov-14 18:45:00

Could you write down what you need to say and hand it to them? Or post, if you can't be in the room when they read it.

NanaNina Fri 07-Nov-14 19:21:56

Have you tried saying to the therapist that there's something you need to talk about but are finding it difficult and feel embarrassed about bringing up this thing...........then a good therapist will help you to talk, and bit by bit you should be able to bring this issue into the open. Chances are you won't be talking about anything the therapist has never come across before, an experienced therapist will have come across all kinds of human emotions, situations etc.

Also, you really have a responsibility to be honest with your therapist because unless you are, they can't begin to help you.....they aren't mind readers! If you're paying for the therapy it's most definitely in your own interest to get this matter out in the open.........I don't really think it's a good idea to write it down, because sometimes we need to "hear ourselves" talk about difficult issues if that makes any sense. Also a good therapist takes into account the way that we say things, the words that we use, our body language etc and this all assists in the therapeutic alliance between the therapist and yourself.

SO next time..........give it a go....once you've started I think you might find it easier than you think.

MaryShelley Fri 07-Nov-14 21:44:17

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Nov-14 22:07:03

would you find a q and a type thing easier, if you gave them an idea of the topic in question and they interviewed you to get to the nub?

(NO IDEA how therapy works, sorry)

MaryShelley Fri 07-Nov-14 22:23:00

Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 22:13:27

Any qualified therapist will have heard it all - in their practice or when training. Nanas approach sounded good - tell them there's something you feel embarrassed about but that you think is really significant and ask them to help you talk to them - that's their job and a good therapist will be glad you've had an insight, regardless. Many of my friends are therapists (I trained for a bit) and a more compassionate, non judgemental group of people you will not find.

PacificDogwood Sat 08-Nov-14 22:17:25

I'd be surprised if you could tell your therapist anything that they have not heard before/are not prepared for/would shock them.
Seriously, if you get on well with your therapist and have known them for a while, I'd hope you would not feel too vulnerable to disclose something really difficult for you.

An 'opening gambit' like suggested is a good idea: "There's something I think is affecting my recovery, but I find it really hard to talk about. I don't know whether I can say what I need to express". Your therapist should then help you from there.

Good luck - it sounds like this might be something that needs saying.

warmgingerbread Sun 09-Nov-14 10:22:22

Mary, I think you should take your time.

When you are ready to say it you will be. I couldn't imagine telling my counsellor some of the stuff that I have but I could only do so when I trusted him. I think pushing yourself to do so before you're ready will just make you feel exposed.

Take your time x

MaryShelley Sun 09-Nov-14 22:38:32

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now