Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Brother missing, sent goodbye text

(33 Posts)
solitudehappiness Wed 05-Nov-14 00:58:56

My brother sent two texts saying goodbye today and has been missing since. The police are out looking for him.
Can't sleep am so worried.
Had family on the phone crying etc. we're all really worried.

WishUponAStar88 Wed 05-Nov-14 01:04:46

Didn't want to read and run. So sorry you are going through this - I hope he is soon found and is ok flowers

ColdCottage Wed 05-Nov-14 01:05:32

Can you call the Samaritans for support. Someone non emotional and trained would be good for you to talk to.

I hope they find him. thanks

Celestria Wed 05-Nov-14 01:42:34

Hi solitude. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope your brother is going to be okay. What does your gut tell you?

Is there any background? Reason behind his texts that you are aware of?

Isabeller Wed 05-Nov-14 01:47:26

Thinking of you flowers

solitudehappiness Wed 05-Nov-14 01:57:31

Thanks.
My brother is an alcoholic. He's spent money on getting hypnotised twice and it didn't work. He's just broke up with his girlfriend, now homeless, lost his job, and it was his daughters 3rd birthday and his ex wouldn't let him see her on her birthday.
So..... Quite a lot has happened for him and the last few weeks.
Been saying thing like he wants to disappear and have no-one know him. His texts said so sorry to family members, and bye.
I'm shaking whilst typing this.

BramwellBrown Wed 05-Nov-14 02:04:14

How long has he been missing? and has he done anything like this before?

flowers I really hope hes just gone off for a bit of space and you will find him soon.

nowheretoturnto Wed 05-Nov-14 02:16:49

So sorry, how dreadful. I can only feel for you. I hope he is found soon. Lots of love.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 05-Nov-14 02:29:16

Oh love, I'm so sorry. My brother, too, is an alcoholic, just out of rehab (too soon). His insurance wouldn't pay so home he went (Damn our healthcare!). He tries so hard and wants so badly to stay sober. It's heartbreaking. He's said things like that before, too. Like he hopes he won't wake up or he doesn't want to be here anymore. It really hurts, doesn't it? They are in such pain.

I'll say a prayer for you and for him. If nothing else, know that I am thinking of you. I hope he's only getting some space and his head together.

solitudehappiness Wed 05-Nov-14 11:53:38

Thank you. I've had about 3 hours sleep. No news, and not knowing anything is awful. It's like he's just disappeared. Police have looked everywhere. Friends and family all ringing one another trying to find out where he is. hmm

silversixpence Wed 05-Nov-14 12:04:44

I hope you have some good news soon flowers

KissMyFatArse Wed 05-Nov-14 12:07:36

Hope he's found soon.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 05-Nov-14 15:03:30

I'm still praying that he turns up. I wish I could think of something else to say! Maybe this will be the 'bottom' that an addict has to hit before they truly want to get clean.

I know we aren't supposed to do this, but <holding your hand> and <unMNetty hug> to you.

ColouringInQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 21:54:55

(((hugs))) solitude, really hoping he's found too. Have you got anyone that can stay with you/you can stay with so you're not alone?

solitudehappiness Wed 05-Nov-14 22:52:40

He rang my brother this evening. Don't know any details other than he doesn't want a fuss. Am staying with friends. Big phew, but really hope he gets the help he needs.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Nov-14 00:06:49

Oh Thank God!! I've been watching this thread and just hoping things would turn out OK.

Yes, I hope he gets the help he needs and deserves, too. I never realized what a bastard alcoholism is until my brother crashed and burned. You take care of yourself, too, solitude.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 06-Nov-14 00:26:07

Just saw this, I'm so glad that you know he's safe, but I do feel for you all. Not me, and not mumsnetty, but here's a hug.

Isabeller Thu 06-Nov-14 00:48:35

and another {{{hug}}}

solitudehappiness Thu 06-Nov-14 06:54:28

Thanks for the support and hugs smile
Think it's going to be a long road for him, and yes, I really hope he gets the help he needs.

Celestria Thu 06-Nov-14 07:45:30

I'm so glad he is okay OP. Sadly for me, my brother wasn't so my heart was in my mouth for you.

I do hope he gets and takes all the help he needs. Best wishes. smile

solitudehappiness Thu 06-Nov-14 10:28:45

Oh celestria. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for your words. smile

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:20:53

I think my own brother is realizing that the road isn't just long, it's an endless journey of sobriety and facing challenges. I hope your brother takes those first steps, himself.

celestria I had made my painful peace recently that I would probably lose my brother to either drinking related causes or suicide. I'm beginning to find hope again. I'm so sorry about your brother. You have my wishes for the future.

solitudehappiness Fri 07-Nov-14 02:33:27

No he's drinking again. Makes me sad and feel angry he can't see how worried people were.
I guess he's not seeing anything other than drinking. And it just spirals on and on. It's like being stuck in Groundhog Day.
Wish so much that he would get help and recover. Am I being selfish, uncaring even to not want to see him drinking and then getting depressed?
This is what addiction does. What is going through his brain? Why can't he reach out to those that are trying to help him?
So sorry acrossthepond. It sounds like you've had quite a challenging time. How have you coped?

Thumbwitch Fri 07-Nov-14 02:51:20

Very glad that he's been in contact again, very sorry that he is going through this and putting you and all of his family, including his little girl, through it as well. sad

I hope he gets the help he needs before it's too late. x

Isabeller Fri 07-Nov-14 04:01:33

I'm so glad your brother made contact.

I'm planning to go to an Alanon family group tomorrow for the first time in months. I'd been thinking about going back but suddenly family events have made it a necessity for my sanity. Have you considered giving Alanon a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now