Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Telling work about MH problems?

(1 Post)
workingtitle Tue 04-Nov-14 15:13:55

I've recently returned to work following mat leave. I was diagnosed with PND a while ago but didn't tell them. Returning to work has exacerbated some of my symptoms and I've recently started taking sertraline, primarily for anxiety. I'm also seeing a counsellor via my surgery but not finding that particularly productive.

My job is very autonomous, I run a project and do all the work myself with minimal supervision. I can hide away or work from home and pretend it's all going fine much of the time, only now things are catching up with me and I'm sinking.

I just don't know about telling my boss. I'm on a fixed term contact and not being seen to cope could go against me for future work, and I don't want to be seen as lacking resilience or as someone who creates hassle. I also don't know what I actually want to happen. The project has to be delivered, it's my job to deliver it, and I'm not sure time off will help me. At the same time, I feel like I need to account for my poor performance at the moment. We do have occupational health but they have a bad reputation.

I know people have got much bigger fish to fry, but I'd be grateful of any thoughts or advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now