Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram /fluoxetine

(8 Posts)
lillylop Tue 04-Nov-14 07:50:05

Hi, took first citalopram last night 10mg to increase to 20mg next week. Have to say felt awful really spaced out and unable to think straight, like I was drunk but without the good bit, felt more anxious than ever. This been prescribed for anxiety. last time (5 years ago) had fluoxetine and can't remember feeling terrible like this but I was more depressed than anxious. Do they do different things? Thinking of asking to swap, making me anxious about taking next one as really don't like that feelng

EmpressOfJurisfiction Tue 04-Nov-14 08:01:59

Hi Lilly

I've been on 40mg of citalopram for the past year, currently cutting down. When do you take it? I remember having that spaced out feeling initially but found it was better if I took it with dinner. It does also take 2 or 3 weeks to kick in but it's been fantastic for me.

Does that help? Maybe try the different time and see if it's any better? There are plenty of citalopram users on here so you should be getting some other views too.

lillylop Tue 04-Nov-14 09:16:29

Thanks, I'll take the next one this evening with dinner and see if I feel any better. I know it's early days, just need to feel better and 2 weeks feels forever away. Thanks x

EmpressOfJurisfiction Tue 04-Nov-14 21:18:40

I hope it helps x

lemisscared Tue 04-Nov-14 21:20:40

It will take a few days to settle.xx

Ilikesweetpeas Tue 04-Nov-14 21:24:30

I felt like this initially but that didn't last long and 3 months in I am so much calmer and less anxious. I was advised to take them in the morning in case they had a negative impact on sleep? Hope your side effects settle soon and that they have a positive impact on you too.

lillylop Tue 04-Nov-14 22:17:59

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Took tonight's tablet with dinner and don't feel as spaced out. Hopefully won't affect sleep. Thanks x

EmpressOfJurisfiction Wed 05-Nov-14 22:44:24

I was advised to take them at night in case they wore me out, Sweetpeas
grin. I'm glad they're working for you, they've been great for me. Let us know how you get on, Lilly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now