Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bpd diagnosis - worth it?

(6 Posts)
jb7445 Mon 03-Nov-14 16:25:30

Hi,

I'm 90% sure I have borderline personality disorder, based on my understanding of the typical symptoms. I am wondering, for those of you who have (or whose friends or family members have) obtained an official diagnosis, was there any tangible benefit to this? Did you get any treatment on the NHS, or did you generally just feel better in yourself to have a diagnosis (in the sense of there being an official explanation for certain things)?

My understanding, and please let me know if I am wrong, is that the only treatment is CBT. I have previously found this incredibly ineffective and unhelpful for insomnia, although I guess it will differ for different issues (and people of course). I suppose I just feel reluctant to label myself, in a way, if there is no real benefit to me doing so, particularly as I can't see it going down well at work should they ever find out.

Any help or insights would be hugely appreciated, I feel like I am not thinking hugely clearly at the moment.

Thank you for any help :-)

fluffydressinggown Mon 03-Nov-14 18:06:14

The treatment for BPD is DBT, not CBT, in fact NICE guidelines say short term therapy is definitely not recommended.

I have been able to access DBT because of my diagnosis and have support from the CMHT because of it so I suppose I have benefited from the diagnosis. Although it doesn't feel like it!

My diagnosis came because it significantly impacts my life (being hospitalised) and it came as an aside to me being in services as opposed to me seeking a diagnosis and so I can't comment on actively looking for a BPD diagnosis.

Mitchy1nge Mon 03-Nov-14 18:25:13

or, possibly even better, MBT if it's available

jb7445 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:40:09

Thanks both. My understanding from what I have read, is that there is no cure as such. I always knew there was something different or 'wrong' about me, and when I read the symptoms of BPD I was sobbing almost with happiness because I felt like I'd finally found exactly what the issue was, and that therefore there must be a way to 'fix' me or make me normal (whatever that means). But after reading more it seems like there isn't a great deal to fix this, I will always be the same. I just don't know what to do to make it better. If anyone else has any positive stores of therapy for BPD please let me know, I feel so hopeless right now

Mitchy1nge Mon 03-Nov-14 18:45:03

well I know people with the diagnosis who have had DBT and one person who had MBT and I think everyone found it helpful, were better able to cope with life without doing dangerous things

have a feeling MBT is supposed to lead to better overall outcomes than DBT but not sure where I heard that or how true it is

fluffydressinggown Mon 03-Nov-14 19:24:15

There is a lot of evidence that BPD is very treatable and people can change.

I have been doing DBT since January (albeit with a 2 month gap) and I would say quite a lot of people in my group have had positive outcomes. I don't know if it has been positive for me, I have had good and bad stuff since starting it, it has not made me worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now