Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Really struggling and don't seem to be getting the support I need

(8 Posts)
applemac Mon 03-Nov-14 07:33:05

I'm not well and I haven't been for about 2 months. I'm back under the care of my psychiatrist but they don't seem to be helping much. In the last week my mood has crashed (I'm bipolar) and I've been feeling suicidal. I am feeling really, really bad right now and I'm a single mum with 3 children, one of whom is also very poorly right now and my mum is having to look after her to help me. My mum is not coping very well with looking after my daughter and she keeps coming round to my house and shouting at me which is making me feel worse.

I can't organise anything, I am late for everything and I just feel that everything is falling apart. The doctor will not give me sertraline, which is what I used to have when depressed because of worries about triggering mania. But I need some - before they used to just balance them with a mood stabiliser and I don't see why they can't so the same again.

I just don't know what to do and nobody is listening. They are saying I have to wait until the end of November to see my psychiatrist to have my medication reviewed.

Before this I've had 4 years off meds and I am just so frustrated that I am I'll again. My mum says that if I end up in hospital again like I did years ago, she will refuse to look after the children and they will have to go into care. So that is making me feel even worse.

bluebell345 Mon 03-Nov-14 08:00:51

sorry for your situation. sad
can't you call your psychiatrist and explain your situation and tell them you can't wait till end of nov you need to see them urgent.

applemac Mon 03-Nov-14 12:03:13

I have done and they seem to feel it's not possible to move my appointment.

Their solution is to whack up the quetiapine I'm on, which makes me really sleepy and unable to function and look after my children properly. And doesn't make me feel any less depressed.

applemac Mon 03-Nov-14 17:10:03

I'm trying to get an appointment with my old psychiatrist, even if we had to pay. She knows my case really well.

applemac Mon 03-Nov-14 17:52:46

Had anyone else got this kind of situation, ie - mental health services being very sketchy?

Iwasinamandbunit Mon 03-Nov-14 22:57:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

applemac Tue 04-Nov-14 05:15:33

Thanks for replies. Well, yes it was news recently that people with psychosis are having to wait 2 weeks before being seen.

applemac Tue 04-Nov-14 05:17:13

I never managed to get therapy at all - I paid for it myself in the end and this was 5 years ago. At the moment I'm probably not stable enough to do it but that's why I need my meds adjusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now