Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What to take to friend in hospital?

(10 Posts)
Chopsypie Wed 29-Oct-14 20:52:54

A friend has been admitted to hospital, after a breakdown of sorts.
I'm visiting tomorrow, what can I take for her? I'm going to get some magazines and take some fluffy easy reading books (I know she's on a lot of meds that are effecting her concentration so nothing too taxing).
I was maybe going to take some sweeties as well.
Is there anything else that would be appreciated?

Mentalpsychiatrist Wed 29-Oct-14 20:56:14

Ear plugs, you can't go wrong ear plugs. Psychiatric wards can be very loud in my experience.

Mentalpsychiatrist Wed 29-Oct-14 20:57:03

I'm missing a 'with' in there somewhere.

Mitchy1nge Wed 29-Oct-14 20:58:32

earplugs are an AWESOME idea

maybe favourite things to eat (check if there is patient fridge) and drink

do they smoke? if there is a smoking area then supplies are usually welcome

fluffydressinggown Wed 29-Oct-14 20:58:37

I like getting magazines, socks, cards, sweets/chocolates/fruit, flowers, and small bottles of drink. Also if she smokes take cigarettes for her.

You sound like a lovely friend smile

lemontwist Wed 29-Oct-14 20:59:25

My brother was recently admitted in similar circumstances. Because of the meds he really couldn't concentrate on reading in the first few days, even just short magazine articles. We brought some in anyway for when he was feeling up to it & some snacks and things in. The thing he appreciated most was some music. He wasn't allowed anything with wires sad so we managed to get hold of bluetooth headphones which he used a lot when he was there. Sorry, I can't think of anything else, but just your company will mean a great deal.

Chopsypie Wed 29-Oct-14 21:04:40

She doesn't smoke, so that's out.
Hadn't even considered ear plugs but I've got some packets of disposable ear plugs, so will take some of those.
Don't really know about music, I think she is allowed wires as she has her mobile. Although the nurses could be charging it for her.

Do you think a game boy would be a good idea? I've got a classic one, with Tetris!

Thanks for the ideas, definitely some things here I hadn't even thought of!

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 29-Oct-14 21:14:08

A few new packets of cheapish underwear to avoid the indignity of getting someone else to wash it. Nice tube of hand cream, the antibacterial soap and sanitizer gel can dry your hands and it is nice to have something that smells unique to you and not just like everyone else in there.

Chopsypie Thu 30-Oct-14 21:30:48

She was incredibly pleased with what I took. Going to take some more food, and maybe some more posh toiletries.

She also asked for some music/podcasts.

Any ideas for good podcasts? We have very different tastes in music so I think I'll leave that to her mum.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 31-Oct-14 06:49:26

Not sure how you could download it, but TED podcasts are great. (

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now