Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can meds effect periods.

(11 Posts)
PiperIsOrangePumpkins Tue 28-Oct-14 20:00:43

i am 3 weeks late, don't need to poas as DH has had the snip and plus my sex drive has driven away. I know I'm not pregnant as I suffer with HG.

Could the tablets be causing this.

Mentalpsychiatrist Tue 28-Oct-14 20:03:47

What medication are you taking?

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Tue 28-Oct-14 20:07:29

50mg of sertraline

Mentalpsychiatrist Tue 28-Oct-14 20:10:25

It's very uncommon for sertraline to cause menstrual irregularities but it's not unheard of. Have you just started taking it? No harm to pee on a stick just in case.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Tue 28-Oct-14 20:32:11

I'm 28 days in.

Mentalpsychiatrist Tue 28-Oct-14 20:33:53

It could well be the sertraline in that case but I would recommend consulting your GP (I'm assuming you're being treated in primary care).

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Tue 28-Oct-14 20:52:33

I am, but I do think a pregnancy is very unlikely but will get a test tomorrow just in case.

windchimes23 Tue 28-Oct-14 21:28:40

Citralopram gave me irregular bleeding, like weird half periods and then nothing for six weeks. GP said it could be a side effect. POAS to be sure, but SSRIs have had that effect on me.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Thu 30-Oct-14 21:29:53

Did a test it was negative, then AF reared his ugly head.

Queenofknickers Thu 30-Oct-14 21:33:47

From what I know it's unusual for the meds to cause it but fairly common for depression/anxiety to mess with your cycle thanks

magicgirl74 Fri 31-Oct-14 22:40:39

Venlafaxine at higher doses makes my periods extremely heavy to the point that I end up enemic and have to take iron tablets ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now