Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

depression self help books

(16 Posts)
Meko Tue 22-Aug-06 11:04:37

can anyone recommend any really good depression self help books.

many thanks

katyjo Tue 22-Aug-06 11:15:28

Hi Meko
Is everything ok, I don't know any books but talking always helps.

MerlinsBeard Tue 22-Aug-06 11:18:02

Talking things through is the best way i have found. although sometimes i need a slap in the face (virtual or real) to get me to do that.

Meko Tue 22-Aug-06 11:53:24

I am at a really low ebb. talking does help but there is no one that I can really talk to. My husband works away and I have no one that can babysit so going somewhere to see some one is extremely difficult. Whislt it would be nice to unburden myself I dont know anyone that I trust enough or with broad enough shoulders for all of the issues and angst that I have. dont get me wrong I dont feel suicidal - I would never do that to my gorgeous children. I just know that I need to do something to bring the colour and taste back into my life if that isnt too much of a cliche. I thought that if I could find the right book / books that It would help me feel more positive with exercises suggestion to help get me out of this sprial of numbness and despair.

katyjo Tue 22-Aug-06 12:18:42

How old are your kids? What did you do before you had them to make you feel better, when you had a bad day? You are doing an amazing job if your husband is away all the time, my hubby goes away for a few days and the responsibility and loneliness drive me nuts. I cried when I saw my hv last time my husband was away. Even going for a walk and buying a crappy gossip magazine makes me feel better and I like to watch 'friends' on DVD. I'm off out now but please don't think you are alone, we all feel down sometimes.

Meko Tue 22-Aug-06 14:46:20

thank you kids are 4 3 & 2 -when I worked and was fed up i went to the gym, shopping or did craft things - none of which are possible at the moment. by the time the kids are in bed there is house to keep on top of the washing tidying, ironing. to top it all we are in the middle of a renovation from hell, what with the leaking roof, blocked toilets, and poor workmanship from the builder.... i used to be out all the time but with 3 engergetic children can be more stress than pleasure at times. i am surrounded by superficial mummy relationships and often feel like i could scream. but i know on paper I am so lucky, when I look at what I have not materially ifyswim - my children, husband, health touch wood. I just dont seem to be able to feel the happiness I know I should feel. I feel like there is a constant weight around my neck and It seems to have been there forever. Its as if I dont deserve to be happy and if I dare to be something will go wrong. I have issues with self esteem which stem from childhood. but I feel like an alcoholic - i have identified there is a problem and I need to do something about it.

katyjo Tue 22-Aug-06 18:56:34

Meko, you are a HERO, many people wouldn't cope with what you are doing!! Three under fives, a husband that works away and a house under construction. I think you need to invest in some serious 'me time'! Is your hubby home at the weekend, even if you could take an hour out to chill, I think getting a haircut or going for a swim is always good. Don't worry about the perfect mothers, if they are bragging about their perfect situation you can bet it's not that perfect!

katyjo Tue 22-Aug-06 18:56:40

Meko, you are a HERO, many people wouldn't cope with what you are doing!! Three under fives, a husband that works away and a house under construction. I think you need to invest in some serious 'me time'! Is your hubby home at the weekend, even if you could take an hour out to chill, I think getting a haircut or going for a swim is always good. Don't worry about the perfect mothers, if they are bragging about their perfect situation you can bet it's not that perfect!

madmarchhare Wed 23-Aug-06 19:05:30

Dont know any books but just bringing thread back into active convos incase theres anyone around that might be able to help.

bumpmakestwo Wed 23-Aug-06 19:44:40

A book that I was recommended a few years back was one called 'Being Happy'. I am so sorry but I can't remember who it was by (something Martin, maybe?!) Anyway it wasn't too heavy, quite light hearted but really got me appreciating life again and so many people commented after a few months. I wasn't a big talker and was more embarrassed about my depression than anything. So well done you for opening up!!

madmarchhare Wed 23-Aug-06 20:33:34

Is this it?

bumpmakestwo Wed 23-Aug-06 20:40:21

Clever Mad March Hare! That's it!!

nearlythree Wed 23-Aug-06 22:41:21

meko, you are doing fantastically! I have three aged 4, 2 and 3 mo which is tough enough, without moving etc. No wonder you feel up against it. I'm struggling too with anxiety brought on by our kids being ill and a bereavement, and it is horrible not to enjoy life. I find the best thing is to s*d the ironing and do something I want to do.

meko Wed 23-Aug-06 23:50:39

thank you all for your words of encouragement its so hard sometimes to put things into perspective when you feel like you are up against it all the time. I struggle when I feel this low to know what is real and what is the depression. this self doubt then just exacerbates the situation. my husband is under pressure at work and I just feel that I need something to help me put a perspective on things to help me pull myself out of this black hole.
I am definitely going to order that book from amazon.

nearlythree Thu 24-Aug-06 08:56:31

Meko, I've also been recommended Self Help for your Nerves by Clare Weekes which I have ordered. If you also get anxious it might be worth a look, I am waiting for it to come but the reviews on Amazon are impressive.

LouellaParsons Wed 12-Oct-11 22:07:46

I work for East Sussex Libraries and would like to know how useful you find our health infomation. If you our from this area please do complete our online survey
www.eastsussex.gov.uk/yourcouncil/consultation/2011/healthinlibraries/download.htm

If we get enough feedback we can really improve the books and workshops we provide. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now