Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety about starting new job. Please advise..

(8 Posts)
Mouldypineapple Tue 01-Apr-14 20:26:32

Hi. Last year I lost my job as a nurse due to being on long term sick leave with a chronic back problem. This on top of quite a few other issues caused me to become quite depressed, with anxiety and angry outbursts. I have been on 75mg Nortriptylline once a day for about 3-4 months. This has greatly helped and I generally feel much calmer and able to cope with things.
I have recently started applying for jobs and have been offered one which is far less physical than before. I am excited in some ways but also now becoming very anxious to the point that this morning I wanted to withdraw from the job - but haven't. Over the last week other things have been stressing me out greatly and I realise now its worry about the job which is causing it.
So, do I proceed and continue and hopefully start the job (pending health clearance which worries me too - back problem and antidepressants..) or withdraw gracefully before I get too far involved.

126sticks Tue 01-Apr-14 22:33:34

What would happen if you proceeded and it may not work out?

What happens if you say no to the new job?

Mouldypineapple Wed 02-Apr-14 00:25:32

If I proceed then I may or may not get through the health clearance stage. If I do then it is a very different sort of job so a steep learning curve. That said when I'm feeling positive I think I'm totally capable of doing the job.
If I withdraw I stay home with DD (4) a bit longer. We are ok financially for a while for me to not work but part of me wants to work - for the money but also professionally etc - but part of me wants to stay home until she starts school in September.
I was a bit shocked to get a job so quickly.
Very mixed feelings!

126sticks Wed 02-Apr-14 13:05:14

I think that you should go for it.

LastingLight Wed 02-Apr-14 15:54:36

Go for it. If nothing else it will give you experience that will help with future job applications.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Wed 02-Apr-14 16:01:16

Is there something specific that is causing you worry?
I think most people are nervous before a new job - I hate that feeling of not knowing what to do. But you can't know what to do until you are shown, IYSWIM - they will train you and you said you can do the job, so I'm sure you would be great.

sicily1921 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:50:34

I'm totally capable of doing the job hang on to that thought MouldyP as I am sure you are. Nursing gives you a great experience for other things, I am an ex nurse now doing something completely different ( not something I want to be doing for a long time though but that's another strory...)

You are bound to be anxious about starting anything new, whether you had been off sick etc or not it is daunting. I think if they gave you the job though they must want you, I presume you must have at least initially filled in some sort of health questionnaire if your health was an issue?

I you like the idea of this job it might be worth giving it a go and it won'[t be long til September anyway. Are you sorted and happy with the childcare arrangements or is anything worrying you about that?

I hope it all works out, good luck

Mouldypineapple Sat 05-Apr-14 01:47:15

Thanks everyone. Feeling a bit more positive now I've sorted through the mountain of forms they sent me although the health clearance is still a bit of a worry. I guess we'll see! Part of me is really looking forward to it but I am worried how much it will aggravate my back. Also worried about feeling too stressed and overwhelmed (like last year before i finally gave in and started anti-depressants), as have felt a bit like that ths week. childcare should be ok.
Fingers crossed it will all will be ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now