Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

anxiety with palpitations

(3 Posts)
mjtit Mon 31-Mar-14 11:27:25

Has any one any experience of treating anxiety with palpitations with herbal remedies or supplements. Im wondering what works best. Ive been to gp who says im stressed and wanted to give me beta blockers but im not that bad, its more irritating than threatening.

Any one had any success?

sicily1921 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:40:05

Hi Mjtit, the short answer is 'no' but only because I haven't tried it! I am answering you though because I feel I am in a similar position to you re the stress and palpitations.

I would have thought that it is worth trying, anything (within reason!) that makes you feel calmer is worth trying, be it herbal or yoga or meditation or 'just' quiet time.

The GP shouldn't really be prescribing beta blockers for palpitations unless he has good reason i.e he has done some monitoring of your heart and blood pressure and/ or your case history sounds like it is adversely affecting your health.

I hope you feel less anxious soon and you find something that helps

Tigglette Fri 04-Apr-14 20:57:38

I e been prescribed beta blockers for anxiety - the physical feeling of being stressed (fast heart rate, shakes, shortened breathing) would work me into a panic attack. The medication seriously reduces the physical feelings of anxiety which helps me cope with the emotions. If your GP is considering beta blockers I'd think about it. They aren't addictive, don't change your emotions but do physically calm you down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now