Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My friend is expecting a BPD diagnosis, what can I do to help?

(9 Posts)
bootsycollins Mon 31-Mar-14 10:59:37

My lovely friend has just suffered a relationship break up and is getting help for herself. She's opened up to me which is a major breakthrough and I'm so glad that she has because I really want to support and help her in any way that I can. I've ordered a book called Get Me Out Of Here by Rachael Reiland about her experiences of living with BPD and hope to gain a greater understanding of the illness and treatment through this.

I really feel for my lovely friend going through this hell and I'm so proud of her for being brave enough to examine herself and her behaviours and seek help. I've experienced major mental health issues myself after a failed suicide attempt and spent time in a unit and been treated with anti psychotics and anti depressants and I'm in a good place now so I think this has helped her to reach out to me because she knows I won't judge her.

I know from searching that there are diagnosed BPD sufferers here living and coping with this and I'd really appreciate some advice and to hear about what treatment and drugs that have helped you get on a more even keel thanks

bootsycollins Tue 01-Apr-14 07:05:23

Bump

Grockle Tue 01-Apr-14 09:33:52

You sound lovely. Just be you - be kind, gentle, understanding & give her space when she needs it.

bootsycollins Wed 02-Apr-14 10:25:37

Thanks Grockle. I had a good talk with her last night on the phone and I'll be seeing her this weekend. She's not scared because she's always felt this way, different, an outsider but she's emotionally exhausted and wants to deal with it now and stop running.

I'm a few chapters into the book and I've been watching videos on YouTube, there's a lovely psychiatrist called Dr Kristi Webb who has some really excellent, informative videos on there. She's going for a psychological assessment today.

LastingLight Wed 02-Apr-14 15:57:35

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that you are an awesome friend.

bootsycollins Wed 02-Apr-14 18:49:21

Thank you Lasting

Cola204 Thu 03-Apr-14 18:47:54

I have the book called Borderline Personality Disorder in the "For Dummies" range. It is very helpful and easy to understand.

bootsycollins Fri 04-Apr-14 02:33:58

Thanks Cola I'll check it out smile

rabbitsteeth Fri 04-Apr-14 18:07:38

Was cola. You sound like a great friend. Its not easy to be friends with someone who has BPD. There is a section in the book for friends etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now