Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to deal with a low blow

(6 Posts)
feelinglowerthanlow Mon 31-Mar-14 09:28:24

I'm feeling very low, have been feeling delicate for a while tbh. I tend to get waves like this linked to when I feel I've screwed up - the anxiety and embarrassment I feel seems to combine to bring me down but for the most part I can get through those periods by being aware of the disproportionate reaction I have to these situations and I basically talk myself out of it.

This time I seem to be struggling with it. I've now had a really shitty experience that's just floored me because no matter how I try and frame it, the shitty experience just can't be easily explained or justified and the anger I'm feeling is fuelling my low mood. I just don't know how I'm going to get through this next week with this toxic cocktail of emotions.

I just want to curl up in bed until it passes but I need to go to work and I've a child to look after too.

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 31-Mar-14 09:34:03

I don't have answers. I feel exactly the same way and go through a similar process. Sleep helps a lot. A good long walk to think things through can help process things and help me face up to some home truths in a more manageable way than being at home alone.

Talking it over with the key people concerned would probably help but I don't know how. Hopefully othera will be along with some better advice than I can give!

msrisotto Mon 31-Mar-14 09:41:21

I don't know what specifically you are talking about, but it is normal to have shitty experiences sometimes. Everyone does. Expect it to hurt, and don't beat yourself up for feeling a normal response to it. We all do things that we regret - forgive yourself, and sometimes, other people do unfair or unkind things to us. That is their stuff, not yours.

If talking yourself out of things works, I highly recommend referring yourself to your local IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies - just google self refer IAPT and your area, if that doesn't work, ask your Gp surgery) because that is their specialty and they should really be able to help you out.

feelinglowerthanlow Mon 31-Mar-14 10:04:31

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out that link.

I think I'm struggling because of the enormity of what's hit me. I can't talk my way out of this one, because there isn't a good way to rationalise what happened. And I'm just very hurt by it. More than I thought I would be. I should probably explain - this isn't something that I've done but that I've had done to me IYSWIM. I'm struggling with it more because it's confirmed my feelings of always being seen as irrelevant, invisible or just not important when in this case I absolutely deserved to be considered. I'd always convinced myself is was just a bit sensitive over this sort of stuff but I now know I wasn't. The snub is just so monumental and spiteful I cannot fathom how that behaviour is justified. And then the humiliation in knowing that others would know and be aware of that, and also see that I'm viewed this way.

I'll go for a walk later I think. Try and clear my head a bit.

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 31-Mar-14 10:50:07

I think you're describing a number of people hi gs there. There's injustice, which feels like it burns away inside and that is a good thing to take to counselling sessions and talk over wuth someone else about. Then there is that shift of how you see and relate to the outside world. This affwcts things like confidence, trust, passivity. There can also be a shift inside, which affects your decision making and self esteem. Lots to process and it can be hard work. Tell yourslf ki d and good and helpful things and don't let negative, harmful lies take hold in your thoughts. Root them out and twll yourself they are lies.

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 31-Mar-14 10:50:47

*a number of things. Sorry for the typos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now