Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling rubbish on Mother's Day

(4 Posts)
Katkins1 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:25:29

That's it, really. Feel really rubbish- long history with my Mum, who let abuse and neglect happen. Haven't seen her since I was 19, only met her twice in my adult life. Not seen her for most of my childhood.

Feel so rubbish just thinking about all the stuff I have to do today, how I'm not a very good Mum to my DD, not a good example, I neglect her etc. Haven't even got dressed yet. Was up until 3am sorting out some coursework that's due in May (one of three extended pieces); it's nowhere near finished. My friends are all saying how great their mums are, spending time with them and everything.

Can't really go out, have no money to do anything. Feel rubbish. Like I'm failing at being a mum because I'm on my own and I have to do everything by myself, so lots of things don't get done.

DD tipped cereal everywhere this morning, took me an hour to sort out the kitchen after. Now I have nothing to do but sort the uniforms and more coursework later.

I just hate, hate the whole day. I thought I was doing better with it, but maybe not.

Mentalpsychiatrist Sun 30-Mar-14 14:40:43

Hi Katkins, sorry you're feeling so rubbish. This is my first Mother's Day without my mum, so slightly different circumstances to yours, but I'm also hating today. Had a bit of a sneaky cry in tesco earlier on when confronted with the surfeit of Mother's Day stuff. I feel very alone. I'm doing a combination of paperwork and nail painting to try and keep my mind off it. Could you do something similar, maybe even go for a walk?

Bakingnovice Sun 30-Mar-14 14:46:03

Sorry to hear you're feeling rubbish. You're not alone. Mother's Day is a sad day for many people. Including myself.

Katkins1 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:20:18

Aw, I'm sorry for you both too. I haven't been out- that avoids a lot. I have loads to do, just haven't quite got round to it yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now