Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone had proper analysis? How to choose a counsellor?

(4 Posts)
Ijustwanttocryallthetime Sat 29-Mar-14 16:10:16

I'm depressed and anxious. I have disordered eating. I feel like I have no self worth and I've screwed up all my relationships and there's nothing bright in my future, just more misery and suffering.

Has anyone had proper analysis? The kind where you go four times a week for 2 years? How was it?

I'd like to do it but I'm moving soon so couldn't start it until then, and I need something now. How do I go about finding an ordinary counsellor? Would CBT be better? I just want to get back to being happy and confident, like I used to be. Everything is just so overwhelming.

SnowyMouse Sat 29-Mar-14 16:22:51

Here is useful if you want an accredited therapist.

I know someone who's doing three times a week, she says it helps.

Millie2013 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:57:33

I'm doing 2x a week at the moment and it's bloody hard, but so rewarding, the rewarding part far outweighs the hard work part!

I found my therapist via the UKCP website. I've been seeing her for 2.5 years and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey

lyinginwait Sun 30-Mar-14 00:31:34

I did 3x a week for 2 years, very traditional, the therapist asked me to lie on a couch and not make any eye contact, and would not answer any queries about her background/training at all! It was on the NHS, so no choice in the therapist or appointment times for me which I think made a huge difference to my experience of it. It was four years ago now and tbh I can't say it was really helpful. I just never built any relationship with the therapist despite attending for so long, felt unable to open up about certain issues but felt that she tried to direct sessions towards less relevant issues. I would never have described any of the sessions as rewarding or insightful.

I do think it's very individual though and so much depends on personality of the client and the therapist. I would not have kept up attendance for so long if I'd been paying for it - I continued attending because I really wanted to work hard at it, but ultimately I don't think the therapy style suited me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now