Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Prozac - your experiences please - esp for PMT

(6 Posts)
codandchipstwice Fri 28-Mar-14 08:28:05

Got 28 days of fluoxetine from GP for crushingly bad PMT - just feeling that i can't cope and being unbelievably irritable and angry.

Pharmacist has made me read the leaflet and I'm now terrified for the side-effects. I'll be taking 20mg a day for 4 weeks, then hopefully be put onto it just for up to two weeks a month.

So - did you have any/all of the side-effects - or is it just my anxiety kicking in?

Thanks

ColouringInQueen Fri 28-Mar-14 13:36:07

Hi codandchips. I've been taking fluoxetine for depression, and one lovely side effect has been no PMT, so from that perspective I would definitely recommend it (and am tempted to stay on it as my PMT used to be horrendous too).

I did have side effects for the first two weeks - mainly nausea and fatigue. You can get it in liquid form so you can build up to the 20mg dose if you need to. See how you get on on the 20mg dose. Personally it wouldn't suit me to be on it for two weeks and off again, but everyone's different.

Good luck!

sydlexic Fri 28-Mar-14 13:40:40

I love fluoxetine, I have anxiety disorder and OCD. It makes life liveable. Also no PMT.

I felt more anxious and had vivid dreams when I first took it but they settled down. As it takes a while to work and had a long half life I am surprised it would be prescribed in an on and off fashion.

LaQueenOfTheSpring Sat 29-Mar-14 11:55:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LastingLight Sat 29-Mar-14 12:12:57

I take fluoxetine for depression, not PMT, and it's fantastic at suppressing the irritability and anger. Can't remember having any side effects when I started on it. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

didldidi Sat 29-Mar-14 18:56:37

Sorry meant to reply yesterday. I have been taking it for a year - originally for pmt but have definitely felt my whole mood improve. I still get vivid dreams and for the first two weeks felt really spaced out but I can really recommend them. The added bonus in the beginning was a decreased appetite which meant I lost half a stone, but unfortunately that wore off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now