Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Doctor didn't warn about any withdrawal

(12 Posts)
mrspuddleduckie Fri 28-Mar-14 08:10:16

I'm about 14 days into cutting out 10mg daily Citalopram and I feel terrible. Constant nausea, anxiety, dizziness, shakes and total body fatigue. Yesterday and last night I've probably slept 18 hours total and feel no better for it

I stopped on the doctor's recommendation as I've been taking it for 7 months and feel like I could probably stop, and also I want to TTC

But - she mentioned absolutely nothing - not a thing - about how utterly awful I would/could feel. DH works overseas so I took a 10mg pill in the middle of the night last night because I was so worried about still feeling that way in the morning, with two toddlers to care for/driving etc. I'm on my own for another few weeks and I'm so worried about managing day to day life like this. I work part time, but am struggling to stay awake/not vomit

Anyone got any advice or experience? thanks

apermanentheadache Fri 28-Mar-14 09:45:33

I would reintroduce them pronto and taper down slowly. Many GPs know littke about SSRI discontinuation - it makes me cross. Hope you feel better soon.

Sparklingbrook Fri 28-Mar-14 09:53:36

Himrsp did you just stop taking them? sad

I have just come off them. I started in November and took the last one 6 weeks ago. I was taking 10mg every other day during the last bit.

YY to start again and do it vv slowly. flowers

apermanentheadache Fri 28-Mar-14 11:04:20

What I usually do is break the tablets down with a sharp knife or pill-splitter and taper down the dosage every couple of weeks. The speed you do it is very individual though - some people can go quicker, and some can go slower.

SSRI discontinuation syndrome is very well known. Your GP was being really cavalier at best.

apermanentheadache Fri 28-Mar-14 11:05:43

Also, it can make sense to start your taper when you have support around you. I wouldn't do it when I had a lot on my plate. Could you wait 2-3 weeks until your DH comes home?

mrspuddleduckie Fri 28-Mar-14 15:03:26

Thanks all - yes, I literally just stopped taking them 14 days ago. I thought I was pregnant!! Then I realised it was withdrawal sad

I have just gone to a new doc and demanded another month's worth. He said every other day, but I prefer the idea of 5mg daily to keep things level.

thanks for the advice

LongTimeLurking Sat 29-Mar-14 11:23:53

GPs dish out SSRIs like they are smarties yet so many patients complain they were not warned of the withdrawal effects. Terrible.

I would start taking them again and then taper down very slowly. I don't know if citalopram is available in lower than 10mg pills so you might have to start by just cutting a tiny bit off the pill to make it 8mg, or even cut it in half for 5mg if you can manage that big of a drop in one go.

Then taper down very slowly over a month or two.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 11:26:35

I saw a differenrt doctor for another reason when I was on 10mg every other day. He said that was no better than a placebo and I didn't need it. shock

weaselm4 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:13:41

Sorry to hear you're feeling awful mrspuddleduckie.

It makes me angry too when GPs underestimate the effects of SSRI.

Does anyone have any advice to help manage the symptoms? I've just reduced from 100mg to 50mg of Sertraline, and am feeling really sick and dizzy. My husband is overseas with work too (although it's only a short trip), so any way to help myself feel better would be very useful!

allmycats Mon 31-Mar-14 16:20:41

When I came off Citalopram I cut it 1 at a time i.e. week 1 I dropped Wednesday, Week 2 dropped Sunday/Wednesday - week 3 dropped Friday/Sunday/Wednesday and so forth - it must be awful just stopping
in 1 go. Please try to drop them gradually your GP should know this.

apermanentheadache Mon 31-Mar-14 16:50:55

Weaselm, maybe the 50mg reduction is too much at once? Is there a medical reason you're coming off them or are you just recovered? If the latter, could you maybe take 75mg for a couple of weeks and see how that goes?

weaselm4 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:28:36

I just wanted to reduce the dose as the side effects were driving me up the wall, apermanent. I might try having a tablet and a half tomorrow, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now