Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Been referred to AMHT following panic attack

(21 Posts)
CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 17:20:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnowyMouse Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:18

Do you know what they've referred to mental health services for? It sounds like you've been through a lot, hugs sad

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:46:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Mon 24-Mar-14 22:36:24

Is there another gp practice you could join?

A referral to a mental health team is just for assessment. You can go to the assessment and say you did not request it and then give them all the evidence of how the gp has treated you - ESP the phoning you and writing to you. You can take copies of your phone bill itemised if possible and of your written correspondence

Another thing you can do if you have concrete evidence about gp behaviour and amount of contact is to complain to PALS.

Personally I would change gp practice!!

And if you can afford a new car, being kind to you and treating you is your choice!!

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 07:56:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 09:58:49

I doubt countryside is necessarily any better, certainly gp practices vary but you should be able to change.

You may not have the letter that was destroyed but it will be on your records which you are entitled to. There may be an admin cost, especially if gp practice knows why you want another copy of things.

An assessment will probably be whether you have a mental health diagnosis and whether you are a risk to yourself of others. Risk assessment is a big thing, also known as safe guarding. The mental health team will probably not use those words but just to let you know. And it is very hard to challenge mental health records. They can affect life insurances etc so if you genuinely do not have a mental health diagnosis it is worth finding out what is recorded.

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 10:06:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 10:08:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:04:47

It is normal to be assessed by 2 people. And you have a right to go and ask for counselling on the NHS but may find that the people assessing you ask you to use the talking therapies available through gp. The MH services deal with people with severe MH illness usually and those with higher risks so it is up to them to assess you. It is normal for 2 people to do an initial assessment, not as a witness but standard practice in many areas.

The NHS can offer short term counselling - usually 6-8 session however not always a choice of type of counselling offered and usually cbt is one option, which will not usually allow people to discuss things you mention. So worth telling them what your issues are, ask for what you want.

Usually if taken on by a MH team you get allocated a psychiatrist to oversee medication and either a nurse/SW/OT to see you. They usually carry out the treatment, at least initially.

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:05:25

Oh - new gp sounds ideal :-)

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 12:11:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:24:34

Private counselling sounds a good option, as the NHS can be great but has long waits usually and is time limited and cannot choose who you see. Also no notes on NHS files etc. also can find someone you can work with - for as long as you choose/can afford.

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 12:29:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoilRegret Wed 26-Mar-14 20:57:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnowyMouse Wed 26-Mar-14 21:07:22

It sounds like you're getting some support in place, good luck.

SilverStars Wed 26-Mar-14 21:20:59

Hi if you contact Pals and tell them you are complaining to police about the gp and the trauma of seeing him they may be able to sort you out a place with one that currently has rejected you. Worth an ask.

Can you get your phone company to get phone details as evidence for police? At least police can request copy of letter ambulance tore up for you. Well before he deletes it anyway I hope! Worth maybe telling them about evidence they can get hold of? And the ambulance at least can tell them they destroyed said letter.

Glad you got a quick appointment booked.

CoilRegret Thu 27-Mar-14 09:04:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Thu 27-Mar-14 21:09:19

Although not nice, you have good insight so have been able to protect yourself. Once armed as you say with a crime number the dr's will be very stupid to hassle you anymore - as any contact whatsoever you will report each time.

Good guidelines changing soon.

CoilRegret Tue 01-Apr-14 17:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Tue 01-Apr-14 19:20:23

That sounds so positive. And to be told you do not even need many sessions puts things into perspective doesn't it?!

A nice and proactive gp also sounds helpful. I am sure dealing with the physical issues will really help as well. Hard to be positive when in pain and stressed about illness.

CoilRegret Wed 02-Apr-14 13:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: