Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

struggling with hypochondria

(7 Posts)
strawberryswing Wed 19-Mar-14 22:07:21

Hi everyone.
Last year I was diagnosed with hypochondria/health anxiety and it has genuinely started ruining my life.

Every ache/pain I worry about it being life threatening and suffer major panic attacks thinking I am about to die.

Currently pain in my leg is a DVT. I know it sounds so stupid but I'm in hell thinking I'm about to die, nearly in tears.

My life is no longer the same, I'm struggling with this so much I'm at a loss. Any advice appreciated sad

BeaWheesht Wed 19-Mar-14 22:26:08

Have you been offere any CBT? Are you on medication?

I find sertraline helps a lot.

Also, and I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I try NOT to look for reassurance from people / doctors / Internet because ultimately it doesn't last and I move onto the next worry. Working through it myself is best.

strawberryswing Wed 19-Mar-14 22:35:14

I am on amitryptoline at the minute, killing two birds with one stone as it has pain relieving qualities for my facial pain smile

I was offered CBT but was unable to make the only day of the week it was available at my surgery.

I'm a bugger for seeking reassaurance though I totally agree it does not help! i've been a wreck for months due to my Google discoveries ...

BeaWheesht Wed 19-Mar-14 22:52:15

Google CBT and mindfulness and nothing else nd try and put some of it into practice.

Milkmachinemadness Thu 20-Mar-14 11:31:38

I'm the same. Citalopram is helping me. I'm trying to stay away from drs as I never believe them anyway. I'm waiting for CBT

AngryFeet Thu 20-Mar-14 11:55:08

Get yourself on some anti-ds like sertraline to stabalise your mood while you get some counselling. This book is a good place to start if you have to wait for NHS CBT.

I have had it for 12 years and mainly have it under control now with no medication.

AngryFeet Thu 20-Mar-14 11:56:49

Yes and STAY AWAY from google and the GP and general reassurance from friends/loved ones. Reassurance becomes a vicious circle. It will only make you feel better for a second then you need more and by searching for it you are thinking about your anxieties more.

Try exercise to alleviate some anxiety and keep busy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now